Philadelphia Wooden Boat Factory’s BUILD Program
Posted by on August 4, 2008
B.U.I.L.D. a Boat!
Looking for something fun and challenging this school year? Come to Philadelphia Wooden Boat Factory and learn to build a real wooden boat! Philadelphia Wooden Boat Factory teaches Philadelphia area teens to hand-build traditional wooden boats at our accessible 3500sq/ft. shop in South Philadelphia – after school, all year long!
Through our B.U.I.L.D. Afterschool Program, you’ll learn all the skills needed to turn a drawing into a real, full-size, boat.
• The core of Philadelphia Wooden Boat Factory’s youth programming, B.U.I.L.D. offers students a fun and exciting after school alternative.
• Through B.U.I.L.D., students learn to read blueprints, use linear measurement, understand and apply scale, safe tool use/care, and fine wood working skills in a group setting.
• At Philadelphia Wooden Boat Factory, students further develop and understand classroom concepts in a practical, hands-on setting. Complex mathematical and scientific concepts are illuminated through B.U.I.L.D.’s boatbuilding projects.
B.U.I.L.D. students participate three nights weekly – either Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.
Monday through Thursdays meet from 4:00pm to 7:00pm. All students meet Friday from 4:00pm to 6:00pm.
Fall: 2nd Week of September – 3rd Week of December
Spring: 1st Week of February – 2nd Week of May
All high school age students are encouraged to participate. You do not need to be in school to join.
No prior experience necessary. Prospective students should be interested in learning through new experiences. Interest in boats, water, wood, woodworking, hand tools, power tools, etc. a bonus, but definitely not required.
For more information or to apply to the B.U.I.L.D. Program stop by the shop, contact us at 215-755-2400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
Philadelphia Wooden Boat Factory
2126 W. Moyamensing Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19145
More in "Miscellaneous"
- Webinar: Preparing Students for Remote Learning and Assessing/Evaluating Student Learning in an Online Setting – Mar 24
- Webinar Series for Parents/Care Givers and Educators
- Paid Zoom Focus Group on Entertainment (Arts & Culture Events) in Phila. – Mar 11
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.