Part-time Afterschool Lead Teacher, Sunrise of Philadelphia
Posted by Sunrise of Philadelphia on November 13, 2018
Sunrise of Philadelphia in an out-of-school time provider that supports youth who face adversity in discovering their strengths, experiencing success and preparing for their futures. Since 1999, Sunrise has provided high-quality educational and youth development programs. Sunrise has a proven track record and strong working relationships within South Philadelphia. We provide academic enrichment, career and college programming and workforce development to over 1,000 youth annually. In all its work, Sunrise strives to embody the following three core values: Family, Transforming and not Transacting, and “EduFun” – Education through Fun!
The Lead Teacher is responsible for developing, coordinating, planning, and supporting the implementation of afterschool and summer curriculum and programming for elementary and middle school students at two Philadelphia K-8 public schools, Chester A. Arthur School and E.M. Stanton School. This position will be responsible for the ensuring that the programming includes literacy, social-emotional and STEM components.
This position is grant-funded through the PA Department of Education’s 21st Century Learning Center cohort 9. The position reports directly to the site directors the two locations listed above and will work in coordination with each to support both sites. This position begins in September 2018. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. The Lead Teacher will work approximately 20 hours/week.
- Work with Group Leaders, contractors and partnering organizations to coordinate, plan, execute and troubleshoot daily program activities for all student groups in a Project Based
- Learning (PBL) format, while maintaining continuity of themes and goals across activities
- Ensure completion, collection, and inputting of all required PBL paperwork (planning forms, task list, rubrics, debriefing forms) in a timely matter
- Communicate and liaison with program activity partners (ArtWell, ASAP, etc.) around scheduling of daily activities and special events (culminating presentations, field trips, etc), completing partner related paperwork and evaluation materials, in coordination with the Site Director
- Plan and support staff to implement a minimum of 2 weekly art classes for students; includes maintaining and organizing supplies, submitting supply requests in a timely fashion, and coordinating exhibits of student work
- Plan and gather materials for “Free Time” and craft/visual art activities for special events, short weeks, half days, and other times as needed, and support implementation
- Support Group Leaders in planning and implementing literacy activities (read-alouds, KidzLit, i-Ready, 100-book challenge, etc.)
- Plan and teach regular classes at supported sites, in coordination with the site directors and site programming and scheduling needs
- Attend meetings and trainings as required
- Provide service with a respectful manner toward all visitors, volunteers, clients, students, parents, school staff and monitors
- Other duties as assigned and needed
* Bachelor’s degree in Education; previous teaching experience preferred
* Positive attitude in working in our community setting, with youth, staff, building employees and partners
* Conflict resolution, problem-solving and communication skills
* Ability to work with available resources and varying interests/abilities of students and staff
* Enthusiasm and dedication to improving the lives of youth and families
* Able to work independently and as part of a team
* Reliability and punctuality
* Commitment to on-going growth and professional development
* All employees are required to submit up-to-date background clearances and health assessments before they can begin work
All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Sunrise of Philadelphia, including involvement in quality improvement activities, regular team meetings, and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment. Sunrise of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Any offer of employment is contingent upon receiving satisfactory references and approval of hire by Sunrise administration. This is a 100% grant funded position subject to grant approval and continuation. Falsification or omission of relevant information in connection with any application for employment is grounds for denial or dismissal.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $14.00 to $17.00 /hour
- Executive Director, Starfinder Foundation
- Development & Operations Coordinator, Youth Sentencing & Reentry Project
- Director of Operations & Development, The Center For Emerging Visual Artists
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.