Saint Joseph's University
Outreach Coordinator, Biology
|The Outreach Coordinator will recruit, train and manage graduate and undergraduate students involved in education outreach. Half of this full time position will entail support of a larger School District GEAR UP initiative in which six local universities, including SJU, are joining together under the auspices of PHENND, to impact the lives of over 6,000 K-12 youth. The Coordinator will work closely with the School District of Philadelphia’s GEAR UP Manager serving Overbrook High School to recruit, place, train, and manage students serving as college access coordinators and tutors at District schools. View full posting here: https://jobs.sju.edu/postings/16808|
|Position Title:||Outreach Coordinator, Biology|
|Open to:||Internal and External Applicants|
|Full-Time or Part-Time Status:||Full-Time, 12 months|
|Staff Job Type:||Hourly/Non-Exempt|
|Position Summary or Faculty Qualifications||The Coordinator will regularly attend stakeholder meetings at the schools and will work to plug university resources (particularly college student volunteers) into projects and programs desired by the school partners. Half of the position will involve coordination of other collaborative science education outreach programs that bring hands-on science education to Philadelphia K-12 children. These include a school-museum-university partnership, a collaboration with via a service-learning course taught out of the Biology Department, and via several additional collaborations involve university faculty and students (graduate and undergraduate), museum education specialists, and K-12 children and their teachers.
This position is a one year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
|Duties and Responsibilities:||• Recruit and place college student volunteers to support GEAR UP initiatives and other collaborations; assign students to specific opportunities; onboard volunteers and other workers and handle clearances
• Assure compliance with criminal background checks for all volunteers, maintain records, and report to PHENND and SJU supervisors as appropriate
• Train students on best practices of working with K-12 youth, including college access and readiness programming
• Manage student participants, including check-ins as appropriate to specific programs and end-of-semester reflections for all participants
• Attend College Readiness Collaborative Community meetings and monthly meetings with PHENND and other partner meetings as necessary; serve as primary liaison between participants in SJU-based outreach programs
• Organize and lead a 1-credit service learning experience that involves participants in science education outreach
• Coordinate and administer summer science education outreach programs.
• Assist biology graduate director and PHENND supervisor in project recordkeeping, including student hours worked, number of K-12 students served.
|Secondary Responsibilities:||• Gather and enter project data for evaluation purposes.
• Provide research support for grant applications and project evaluation.
|Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:||• This job requires a personal vehicle for driving to Philadelphia for meetings at the Wagner Free Institute of Science and at public schools at least several times per month.
• Occasional attendance at meetings after 5 pm or on Saturday will be expected.
|Minimum Requirements:||• Bachelor’s degree.
• Excellent writing/speaking skills.
• Proficiency in computer word-processing, data management, and email software.
• Valid driver’s license.
|Preferred Qualifications:||• Bachelor’s degree in science or education.
• Previous experience working with college students.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.