Organizing Intern, Earth Quaker Action Team
Posted by Earth Quaker Action Team on April 27, 2015
Earth Quaker Action Team (EQAT) – http://www.eqat.org
Earth Quaker Action Team (EQAT) is a grassroots nonprofit based in Philadelphia. Our mission is to build a just and sustainable economy through campaigns that draw on the Quaker legacy of non-violent direct action. In spring 2015, EQAT won a 5-year campaign called BLAM! – Bank Like Appalachia Matters! – when PNC Bank effectively ceased it’s investments in mountain removal coal mining. Now the organization is in the exciting moment of choosing a new eco-justice campaign that echoes the mission statement. The intern will get to join on the ground floor of this new campaign!
The intern will support EQAT with the launch of a new campaign, which will include participating in the initial direct actions (planning, execution, and debriefs to analyze for lessons useful for the field of peace-building and nonviolent action). The intern will assist in research to help in the development of campaign strategy. This summer EQAT will be updating our database and building a new website, and the intern would be part of a team working on these projects.
EQAT is a small organization where staff and volunteers work out of homes, libraries, and coffee shops. The intern will need his/her/their own computer and housing. There are opportunities for co-working, yet this internship is most ideal for a person who can be self-directed and work alone, with support and guidance. The intern will be part of regular staff check-ins and report to EQAT’s Coordinator.
This is an unpaid internship, but the intern will receive mentoring from an intergenerational group where peers and elders will be available to reflect and support the intern’s growth. EQAT values experiential learning, and will support the intern to increase direct action, project management, and/or facilitation skills based on interest and emerging organizational needs. Additionally, a reading list is available if the intern plans to receive academic credit for the internship.
How to Apply: Please send an email with responses to the following questions to Matthew Armstead at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send a resume.
1. Provide your name, email & phone number.
2. What dates are you available for a summer internship?
3. Why do you want to work with Earth Quaker Action Team? What excites you about this opportunity?
4. Describe three paid or unpaid work/organizing experiences that have given you skills that you can apply to the responsibilities of this internship.
5. What are the three greatest strengths you think you would bring to this position?
6. What are two things you’d like to learn through the experience of this internship?
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Recruiting Mentors for 2021 Spring Session, the DREAM Program
- Volunteer Mentors Needed, Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region
- Volunteer Board Member, Family Services of Montgomery County
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.