Online Course: Service-Learning by Design
Posted by National Youth Leadership Council on January 15, 2019
June 4, 2019 – August 31, 2019
Online Course offering 3 CEU credits from Augsburg University
Backward design is an approach to service-learning which yields more powerful student learning. It’s what we use in schools — because we know it works. Now we want you to know what we know.
Facilitated by Dr. Sue Root from the National Youth Leadership Council, in partnership with Augsburg University, this 10-week online course is for educators ready to enhance their service-learning practice.
- Develop a standards-based service-learning unit plan including inquiry and problem-solving;
- Design authentic formative and summative assessments for service-learning;
- Build strategies for strengthening literacy into service-learning learning experiences; and
- Understand how to incorporate students into the development and implementation of service-learning unit.
Service-learning helps students meet academic learning targets, positively impact their community, and gain leadership skills. In combination with a backwards design curriculum, service-learning gives educators the opportunity to transform their classrooms.
*price includes digital copy of text book: Service-Learning by Design
More in "New Resources"
- Tufts University: Election Imperatives 2020
- Communicating in a Pandemic – How Cities Can Better Reach Non-English Speakers
- Compact Nation Podcast: Finding a Voice
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.