New Website: Eagles Eye Health
Posted by on June 2, 2009
Philadelphia Eagles launch new eye health website
The Eagles Youth Partnership is keeping an Eagles Eye on Eye Health with a new digital companion to its Eagles Eye Mobile that has, over the past 13 years, provided more than 25,000 students with eye exams and eyeglasses at no cost to their families.
A new website was officially launched on May 11th at Isaac Sheppard Elementary School in Philadelphia.
Click here for Spanish language version.
Amy Tessier, EYP program manager, and Dawn Baxter, Eagles Eye Mobile outreach worker, presented the website to Sheppard families and faculty at the launch event with the goal of informing parents about the importance of vision care for their children. Children with undiagnosed vision problems also have challenges in the classroom that can impede their academic and social progress.
“Just because a child isn’t bumping into walls, doesn’t mean he or she can see clearly. This new website allows us to help parents make informed decisions about their children’s vision care,” Tessier said.
Key components of the website include
* a zip code finder to help parents quickly find an eye doctor close to their home
* a video, explaining the Eagles Eye Mobile
* an audio message from Philadelphia Eagles Defensive End Trent Cole
* an interactive educational eye section for users to learn about the parts of the eye and common eye problems
* important eye safety articles and eye health fact sheets from Prevent Blindness America
* a link to a new report from Public Citizens for Children and Youth, titled A Problem We Don’t See: The Status of Children’s Vision Health in Philadelphia, and
* an Eye Memory Game to reinforce content about the parts of the eye contained on the website.
“The Eagles Eye Mobile provides access to care and services for a problem that is frequently overlooked in our community. Not any more! We are now able to show our parents and children how to access valuable information about eye care that will help them to understand the urgency, and how they can find information and places that they can go,” said Sheppard Principal Mr. Otto, who has been instrumental in communicating the important vision care message to parents.
Eagles Youth Partnership brings health and educational resources to more than 50,000 young people each year throughout the Philadelphia region, inspiring hope and leveraging the star power of the Philadelphia Eagles to positively influence their behavior. For more information on this and other Eagles Youth Partnership programs, visit here.
Eagles Youth Partnership
One NovaCare Way
Philadelphia, PA 19145
More in "New Resources"
- New Research Report: The Value of State Service Commissions
- Innovative Practices for Systems Transformations
- Virtual Journalist Visit Opportunities for Women’s History Month
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.