New Book: The School Leaders Our Children Deserve
Posted by on March 23, 2009
I am very excited to announce my new book published by Teachers College Press titled:
“The School Leaders Our Children Deserve: 7 Keys to Equity, Social Justice & School Reform.”
This book examines issues of equity and school reform from the work school principals who created more equitable, excellent, just, and caring schools where all children (in particular children marginalized because of race, disability, language, income, etc.) flourished academically and socially.
The book will be out this April and will be available at AERA in San Diego. If you’ll be at the AERA Annual Meeting, please feel free to stop by and see me and the book Tuesday, April 14 room 4:00 – 4:30 p.m. at the Teachers College Press booth during the book signing.
In this book, I describe the leadership necessary to achieve such schools during the era of accountability by focusing on:
– what these leaders and their school accomplished,
– how they increase access for all students,
– how the improve the teaching and curriculum,
– how the build a climate of belonging,
– how they approached and succeeded in reforming their schools and raising student achievement (A theory of socially just school reform),
– the struggles/resistance they face in this work,
– how they sustain this work and themselves, and
– core dispositions, knowledge, skills and leadership traits these leaders possessed that made this work possible, and
– lessons for operationalizing this kind of leadership in current and future schools.
Please let me know if you have any questions, and please share this info/flyer with your colleagues.
Dr. George Theoharis
More in "New Resources"
- IWPR Survey Results Reflect Persistent Economic Hardship for Women and Families
- Millennial Advisory Committee 2017-2020 Progress Report
- Podcast: Academic Freedom & Institutional Autonomy
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.