New Book: Be Magnificent: Exceed Your Expectations
Posted by Inc. on November 5, 2019
One of the greatest challenges faced by the African American community is combating the negative messages that influence how they view themselves and their potential. The impact of these psychosocial stressors affects individual’s choices in pursuing careers, employment, truancy, delinquency, early pregnancy according the Journal of Black Studies.
In order to counteract the effects of negative television, radio and social media, each individual must incorporate ways to program themselves. Michael Rice, author of the book, Be Magnificent Exceed Your Expectations , a native Philadelphian and Community Engagement Specialist has spent the last 20 years engaging communities, youth and families. During this time, Rice not only documented the initiatives of noteworthy Black Philadelphians, but national and international players as well. He observed individuals overcoming major challenges and developing solutions i.e. strategies to deal with the negative influences in society.
A native Philadelphian, Michael Rice is an acclaimed Award-Winning Social innovator, Community Engagement and PR specialist, Leadership Coach, Trainer and Master Networker. He is a graduate of Temple University’s School of Communications and Theater with a specialization in Public Relations. As a Community Engagement Specialist, Rice was instrumental training his peers, community activists, business leaders and professional staff with his Community Capacity Building and ELITE CORP workshop series with a curriculum he developed. He has been recognized by the Pa State Legislature and Philadelphia City Council for his work with youth and community. He founded the Philadelphia Youth Leadership Council and since that time he has been a Leadership Coach to hundreds of youth in pursuit of their leadership potential.
Click here to order the book.
Mr. Rice is available to speak on the following topics:
- “GROUND RULES “: Fundamentals of COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- “LIGHTING A FIRE” – MOTIVATING VOLUNTEERS
- “BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY” – COMMUNITY ADVOCACY
- “URBAN NETWORKING” – How to recruit allies and influence others
- “GETTING THE WORD OUT” – Promoting your event/organization
- “MAJORING IN MINORS” – YOUTH ENGAGEMENT/MENTORING STRATEGIES
- “COMMUNITY MAPPING/MARKETING”
More in "New Resources"
- New Article: Amid COVID-19, Summer Meals Efforts Innovate in the Face of Uncertainty
- How To Plan & Implement an Anti-Racist Service Project for 9/11 Day of Service
- Office of Strategic Partnerships: Racial Equity Guidance for Partners
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.