Montessori Lead Primary Teacher
Posted by Sacred Heart School on June 16, 2020
Are you passionate about providing high-fidelity, culturally relevant Montessori education to children from diverse backgrounds?
Sacred Heart School seeks an enthusiastic Montessori educator to lead a newly established primary classroom in Camden, NJ. We have a small, relatively new Montessori program that we seek to strengthen and grow within a larger non-Montessori school / school system. In this context, we are looking for an individual who is committed to cultivating an authentic Montessori environment, skilled at communicating and collaborating with non-Montessori colleagues, and innovative in maintaining fidelity to Montessori principles while adapting to the needs of individual students and our educational setting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field
- Montessori Primary training from a MACTE-accredited program (AMS, AMI, etc.) – completed certification is preferred; will consider strong candidates pursuing Montessori certification
- NJ State teaching certificate or willingness to work towards acquiring teaching certificate
- Montessori classroom teaching experience
- Enthusiasm and commitment to Montessori education that enables each child to develop to their full potential
- Innovative, energetic and nurturing personality
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with families from diverse backgrounds
- Flexibility to work and plan collaboratively with colleagues
This is a 10 month position, typical teacher hours are 7:30-3 with occasional evening events.
- Create a warm, engaging classroom environment
- Plan and implement individual and small group lessons, based on Montessori scope & sequence and observations of student needs & interests
- Build strong, collaborative relationships with parents
- Maintain consistent record-keeping of lessons and student progress
- Provide guidance and supervision for classroom assistant teacher
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and school leaders
- Participate in other school functions as requested by the Principal
About our program:
We are a private Catholic school serving a predominantly non-Catholic community. Our Montessori program offers sliding scale tuition to make high quality education accessible to our families. Some families receive a state childcare subsidy for preschool and afterschool that makes our school free for them.
While Sacred Heart School was founded in 1920, we started our first Montessori primary classroom in 2015. Our school includes pk-8th grade (1st-8th are not Montessori classrooms) with about 200 students total. Our school is a family, with frequent interactions between grade levels and a strong, supportive staff culture. Although many of our families have little familiarity with the Montessori approach, they have become enthusiastic about their children’s experiences with us and by word of mouth, demand for our Montessori program has steadily grown – we have a waitlist every year.
We are located in Camden, NJ, a small city across the river from Philadelphia, PA.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (2 professional, 1 can be personal) to cHeatwoleShenk@cspschools.org .
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
- Customer Success Manager – PA (Remote), Aunt Bertha
- Senior Program Coordinator, Community Engagement & Family Programs, Barnes Foundation
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.