Member Service Advocate, LIFT-Philadelphia
Posted by LIFT on June 29, 2015
LIFT-Philadelphia is looking for dedicated, resourceful, and enthusiastic individuals to serve as Advocates. Advocates will have the opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of Philadelphia community members while learning about local domestic poverty issues.
Our Mission and Vision
LIFT’s mission is to help community members achieve economic stability and well-being. We are working to establish a new standard for holistic and enduring solutions in our country’s fight against poverty.
LIFT currently runs centers staffed by trained volunteer advocates in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC, to serve individuals and families struggling to make ends meet. LIFT recruits and trains a diverse corps of Advocates to work side-by-side with community members. LIFT Members and Advocates work one-on-one to find jobs, secure safe and stable housing, make ends meet through public benefits and tax credits, and obtain quality referrals for services like childcare and healthcare. As a result, the LIFT experience pushes advocates to grapple with our country’s most challenging issues related to poverty, race, inequality, and policy. Since LIFT’s founding in 1998, over 12,000 volunteer advocates have served more than 100,000 individuals and families.
- Work one-on-one with community members to help them identify and achieve goals by connecting them to housing, employment, social services, and/or educational opportunities
- No experience in direct member service is necessary, but applicants must be willing to be resourceful, committed and dedicated to the success of the individuals they work alongside
- Participate in an intense pre-service training in order to become familiar with LIFT’s mission and the services in the
- Philadelphia area. New Advocate Training will be held the weekend of Saturday, September 12th & Sunday, September 13th
- Commit to one year of service with the opportunity to modify scheduling quarterly
- Advocates are required to commit 8 or more hours of service per week. The following shifts are available: 8:45am to 1:00pm, 12:45pm to 5:00pm, or 8:45am to 5:00pm.
All interests and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Advocates are not paid for their time at LIFT. However, we can help facilitate compensation for students who qualify for Federal Work Study or internship/academic credit.
LIFT believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. LIFT does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, or ideology.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Recruiting Mentors for 2021 Spring Session, the DREAM Program
- Volunteer Mentors Needed, Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region
- Volunteer Board Member, Family Services of Montgomery County
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.