Member Coordinator, Mariposa Food Co-op
Posted by on July 04, 2011
We’d like you to know: Mariposa Food Co-op is seeking a new Member Coordinator to join our Staff Collective! Help us get the word out–feel free to circulate this posting.
We are a 850+ Member-owned and operated Food Cooperative in West Philadelphia. We are in the process of expanding and expect to increase our membership size fairly quickly. Our new store will be opening this fall and will be five times the size of our current location. Our unique staff collective structure enables us to accomplish unified goals without a general manager and make decisions on a consensus-seeking basis. We are interested in applicants who have previous experience managing large numbers of individuals, particularly coordinating people in a volunteer organization and/or working within a cooperative model.
As our membership numbers approach and exceed one-thousand, we will be looking for our new Member Coordinator to develop and refine methods and practices for our entire member program: its tracking systems and informational databases. A major part of this job is interacting with people; only folks with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills who meet the criteria outlined below need apply.
The Member Coordinator positions will average 30 hours/week (though may approach 40 at outset for training and co-op expansion). Primarily daytime hours with some weekend/evening hours. The Member Coordinator may pick up additional hours (if desired) through other departments, if/when available.
* Maintain accurate and up to date records of membership information.
* Maintain records on membership numbers and retention, reevaluating and improving plan quarterly. Participate in setting goals for membership increase, membership renewal, member work shifts, and other goals as developed by Board, Co-management and Membership Team.
* Assist members throughout the course of their membership (joining, membership questions, working shifts, suspending and closing accounts).
* Develop and manage systems around member information, work shifts, and accountability (in collaboration with associated committees), assessing effectiveness of these systems and making recommendations for improvement.
* Develop membership materials and coordinate periodic membership drives in collaboration with Marketing & Fundraising.
* Recruit & Coordinate members to the working-member program. Keep records of skills from work shift applications and new member screenings and conduct periodic surveys and interviews to assess member skills. Schedule trained member-workers for special projects requested by Staff/Board.
* Solicit member-worker feedback on training, working conditions, and design of tasks. Periodically solicit staff and working group leader feedback on performance of member-workers; give feedback to individual member-workers. Develop and carry out recognition events for member-workers.
* Collaborate with Assistant Member Coordinator to accomplish department’s tasks, goals, and responsibilities.
* Proven successes in a coordination and management role preferably in a non-profit (or cooperative) setting
* Ability to direct, supervise, and work with numerous member-workers
* Excellent communication skills-clear instruction & writing skills, attentive listening
* Well-organized, pays attention to detail
* Proven ability to execute multiple projects simultaneously and apply relevant inter-departmental information.
* Demonstrated ability to prioritize and follow through on commitments
* 3 years minimum experience in management or member coordination role
* Ability to effectively self-direct as well as cooperate within the Staff Collective and other related groups
* Ability to relate with integrity to people of diverse backgrounds
* Experience recruiting and working with volunteers.
* Concrete ideas for improvements on our member-worker system.
* Contacts in Philadelphia and surrounding communities.
* Interest in alternative business models
* Experience working collectively and/or with consensus decision-making
* Experience with co-operatives (especially food) and/or non-profit organizations
Compensation and Benefits:
* $12.25/hour with a yearly raise
* Health savings account
* Paid vacation and sick/personal days
* Monthly $25 in-store shopping credit
People of color, transgender folks, and women are encouraged to apply!
Interested candidates should send cover letter, three references, and résumé to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is July 13, 2011. Electronic application is encouraged. Please make sure your cover letter is a separate attachment in proper business letter format and addressed to Mr. Joshua Greenberg. Cover letter and résumé file names should be formatted as follows: “YourLastName_CoverLetter” and “YourLastName_Resume.” If necessary, paper applications can be dropped off with a staff person in the current store at 4726 Baltimore Avenue.
- Director, Workforce Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, City of Philadelphia
- Director, Racial Equity Strategy and Policy, City of Philadelphia
- Senior Director of Operations, Mastery Charter Schools
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.