Medical Assistant, Stephen Klein Wellness Center
The Medical Assistant has the primary responsibility to perform administrative and clinical procedures to ensure all patients seen at the Stephen Klein Wellness Center receive high quality, efficient care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Medical Assistant is a key member of the primary care team and instrumental to its success. The primary care team includes the patient, his or her family or support system, and the patient’s personal clinician (attending physician, resident physician, or physician assistant, nurse). The primary care team may also include, if warranted, a pharmacist, mental health and/or substance abuse counselor, and/or peer specialist. The Medical Assistant is a multi-skilled member of the health care team who performs administrative and clinical procedures under the supervision of licensed health care providers. The Medical Assistant clinically assesses and triages walk-in patients or in-coming “sick” calls from patients per the Stephen Klein Wellness Center triage protocol.
• Determine the preferred mode of communication with patient
• Demonstrate skills required to provide care to patients.
• Assesses needs of the patient, providing proper care to meet those needs.
Performs various administrative and clinical procedures as required including but not limited to:
• Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments
• Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for examination and treatment
• Maintains clean and neat examination rooms
• Interview patients to obtain medical information and vital signs
• Record patients’ medical history, vital statistics and information such as test results in medical records.
• Prepare and administer medications and vaccinations as directed by a physician or Physician Assistant
• Collect blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and prepare them for testing.
• Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization
• Assists with scheduling of tests and treatments
• Calling in prescriptions to pharmacies
• Application of dressings and bandages
• Visual screening
• Carrying out aseptic techniques and following universal precautions and proper OSHA standards
• Provide counseling and instructions regarding common patient problems.
• Scheduling appointments and greeting visitors
• Sorting/Handling mail
• Medical Records filing/updating/record-keeping
• Assisting with submitting medical claim forms patient billing and bookkeeping
• Assists with other clinical procedures and administrative duties as assigned or directed.
• Provides patient counseling services and patient education consistent with directions of the supervising physician.
• Inputs all required data into EMR and other relevant databases.
• Participate in weekly primary care team meetings for case review and discussion of evidence-based chronic disease management, integrated care best practices, etc
• Performs other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS CERTIFICATE/LICENSE
• Graduation from a Medical Assisting training program.
• Certified Medical Assistant.
• A high school diploma or GED.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, internet.
• CPR and First Aid certification preferred.
• At least one year of experience as Medical Assistant.
Project HOME is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.