Media Relations Director, American Friends Service Committee
Application Deadline: November 11, 2020
For consideration, please attach your cover letter and resume to the online application.
Summary Of Principal Responsibilities
The Media Relations Director promotes AFSC as a bold, trustworthy voice on key global peace and justice issues. Using traditional and social media skills, the Media Relations Director will promote awareness of AFSC and promote the effectiveness of nonviolence. The Director will coordinate trainings and procedures that help experts throughout AFSC better attain media coverage. The Director will manage crisis communications, media pitching, op-ed placement, and media-friendly events to amplify visibility for our overall work (both U.S. and international), with a personal portfolio more focused on international peacebuilding work.
Essential Functions/Responsibilities: The key responsibilities of the Media Relations Director include the following:
- Develop, direct, and execute strategic communications plans and procedures for national and international media across all editorial platforms.
- Serve as a spokesperson and a primary media contact for the Service Committee in English and Spanish language media.
- Build and maintain strong, productive relationships with the news media.
- Serve as a confidential advisor to AFSC management and Board members and a representative for AFSC’s management to the media and public.
- Secure regular placements in online, broadcast, and traditional news media for AFSC leadership and staff experts.
- Supervise the Media Relations Manager and their work on U.S. peace and justice issues.
- Coordinate our internal talking points process to ensure we have a common messaging platform on key issues.
- Oversee media monitoring and work with the Director of Research and Analysis on media research and reporting.
- Edit and approve press releases, op-eds, social media content to promote AFSC’s visibility in the news media. Write and ghost-write blog posts, op-eds, social media news responses, and other material to promote AFSC’s campaigns and programs.
- Train and mentor staff leadership and program staff in locations around the world to be effective media spokespeople.
- With the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer and Managing Director of Communications, coordinate rapid response to breaking news.
- Support AFSC experts in public presentations and speeches. Support the Advancement Unit, General Secretary, and others in preparing speeches and serve as an occasional speaker at meetings and gatherings.
- Maintain strong relationships with media relations counterparts in allied organizations.
- Manage any media consultants and manage the contracts for media services, such as our monitoring and distribution tool.
- Contribute to social media and content marketing plans.
- As part of the Communications Department, do occasional editing and writing on other projects, such as Quaker Action magazine or blog posts.
Learn more and apply here: https://www.afsc.org/job-center
- President, Campus Philly
- Associate Director, Program for Community-Engaged Scholarship, Princeton U.
- Clinical Research Coordinator
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.