Managing Director, Alliance for Watershed Education of the Delaware River
Posted by National Wildlife Federation on September 1, 2020
The Alliance for Watershed Education of the Delaware River (AWE, Alliance, or network) seeks a full-time Managing Director to provide leadership and coordination across the Alliance, including facilitating and coordinating the day-to-day activities and strategic direction of an ever-changing and adapting network of twenty-three partnering environmental education centers in the Delaware River Watershed.
We seek a solutions-focused relationship-builder who is experienced in working in the unique collaborative network context and who can lead from behind, and always within the frame of equity.
The Ideal Managing Director Will
- Be an active listener who brings interpersonal awareness and empathy to all interactions.
- Value diversity and associated equity and justice outcomes.
- Build trust through intentional relationship-building, identifying connections, and communicating consistently and effectively.
- Actively build community and encourage action within the network.
- Take initiative by identifying what needs to be done before the situation requires it.
- Inspire and influence members around a shared vision.
- Bring attention to detail across all areas of work.
- Diligently solve problems and suggest thoughtful, workable solutions.
- Seek perspectives, notice trends, and develop contingency plans.
- Bring an openness and a willingness to pivot to another procedure, structure, or solution.
If this sounds like you, please read on.
In This Position You Will
- Work with the Steering Committee to develop, advance, and execute Alliance strategies and goals, in accordance with an existing strategic framework.
- Provide strategic guidance and direction to the Steering Committee, in line with Alliance goals.
- Work with the Steering Committee and Work Groups to keep AWE’s mission and goals as the main focus, providing guidance toward the network’s efforts.
- Provide full-scale meeting planning and support for Alliance-wide meetings, including developing agendas that support relevant and emergent topics, facilitating meetings, capturing takeaways, communicating outcomes and next steps to appropriate parties.
- Oversee the Alliance’s internal grantmaking process to ensure projects and awarded grants are in support of the advancement of the Alliance’s defined goals.
- Act as a center-point for the Alliance by creating synergy across groups and guidance of staff to ensure that work is geared toward achieving the Alliance’s defined outcomes.
- Support Work Group interaction and integration, with an emphasis on diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice work, the Fellowship Program, and sharing or creating training and tools.
- Facilitate the development of annual work plans by Work Groups, and monitor progress to assess, manage, and resolve conflicts and natural tensions as they arise.
- Connect with Alliance Centers and members to understand their programs, aspirations/priorities and capacity to contribute to the Alliance as a whole.
- Maintain sightlines into AWE’s programs and budgets, resources, assets, work completed by staff and consultants, in an effort to retain a systemic/holistic view of the Alliance’s operations.
- Create engagement with external stakeholders and alliances to advance the goals of the Alliance through strategic partnerships.
- Engage frequently and regularly with other Alliance staff to support listening, collaboration, learning, and improved communication.
- Associate Dean – Equity and Access, Admissions, University of Pennsylvania
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.