Manager, Kitchen and Food-Related Programming
Posted by People's Emergency Center CDC on March 12, 2019
Department: Social Services
Reports to: Manager, Intake and Residential Services
JOB DESCRIPTION Summary:
The Manager of Kitchen and Food-Related Programming is responsible for the oversight, management, and operation of PEC’s two commercial kitchens. In addition, the Manager is responsible for all food-related programming that supports PEC’s client population. Responsibilities for PEC’s emergency housing kitchen, located at Gloria’s Place, include: coordination and planning of well-balanced meals, ordering and preparation of food; managing the budget, inventory, and other resources of the meals program, providing nutritional guidance and cooking classes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Food Preparation/Food Service
- Develop and oversee meal design/menu, planning, preparation and service of daily meals for PEC’s emergency housing residents and other eligible consumers/programs
- Manage food inventory, including order placement, delivery and monitoring program budget and expenditures. Also responsible for inventory of all kitchen supplies
- Train and supervise staff on safe handling and proper temperature control of all food during storage, preparation and meal service
- Maintain cleanliness of kitchen and all food service equipment; adhere to all sanitation standards for dining area, kitchen and kitchen equipment. Establish maintenance schedule for all kitchen equipment
- Supervise, train, and mentor residents and staff in food-related activities, including planning, preparing and cooking meals; enforce all kitchen safety regulations
- Record and maintain all meal data, as required by all governing agencies.
- In coordination with staff, prepare and serve meals and snacks for participants
- Develop and provide programming that promotes the importance of proper nutrition to residents and staff; the benefits of nutrients for the body, balanced diet, health food choices, etc.
- Create and/or identify healthy lifestyle menus to share with both residents and staff Obtain required licenses and update/renew as required
- Client/Customer Orientation
- Constructive Conflict Skills
- Change Mastery
- Acceptance of Feedback
- Organizing and Planning
- Team Skills
- Performance Management
- Oral and Written Communications
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in dietetics, food science, nutrition health studies or culinary arts or minimum of three years’ experience in kitchen and/or program management
- ServSafe Trainer Certification
- Experience operating a commercial kitchen
- Proficiency with MS office programs: Word, Excel and Outlook
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in dietetics, food science, nutrition health studies or culinary arts
- Minimum of five years’ experience in kitchen and/or program management
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Sensitivity to and knowledge of the complexity of poverty and women’s homelessness, mental illness, trauma, substance abuse and the impact on individual and community health
This job operates in a kitchen and office environment. This role routinely uses standard office and kitchen equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate objects or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Resumes should go to email@example.com
- Assistant Professor of Ethnic Studies and Director of Academic Innovation, Albion College, The Phila. Center
- Director of Training / Associate Director, Drexel University Counseling Center
- Data Analyst, OIC
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.