Literacy Volunteer Coordinator, RSVP Philadelphia at KleinLife (Part-time)
Posted by RSVP Philadelphia on January 7, 2020
RSVP is one of the largest volunteer networks in the nation for people 55 and over. Sponsored by the Corporation for National and Community Service RSVP is dedicated bringing together volunteers and non-profit agencies to meet the needs and create a positive change throughout the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Volunteer outreach, recruitment and planning for RSVP tutoring, reading and math programs, school partnerships and other added programs
- Recruit RSVP volunteers and stations for literacy programs and contribute to the general recruitment of volunteers to RSVP stations (i.e. home delivered meals, food pantries, income tax helpers, Red Cross, docents in museums, non-profit support, Veterans home, etc.)
- Work with partner organizations to expand volunteers in schools, pre-K, and other literacy programs
- Contribute to event planning of RSVP Volunteer Luncheon
- Provide intergenerational opportunities by building partnerships with schools, churches and other CNCS programs such as AmeriCorps
- Create several training days for volunteers to be involved with community service opportunities for working with children in literacy and schools.
- Oversee all volunteer functions including:
- Oversee and manage all volunteer activities
- Maintaining and tracking all hours
- Implementation and management of a volunteer satisfaction survey and assist in implementing a client impact survey, as it relates to volunteer activities
- Work with Director of RSVP to implement creative strategies to increase awareness in the community about education, and increase community collaboration
- Consult CNCS evidence-based programming before initiating new creative literacy volunteer programs
- Represent the agency at local, state and national initiatives as appropriate
- Work with the Director of RSVP to oversee budgetary and programmatic compliance
- Other tasks as assigned
Education and/or Experience – Bachelor’s Degree required with appropriate course work in education or volunteer management. Ideal candidate should have:
- Familiarity communicating with school teachers and principals.
- Familiarity with collecting data on child classroom improvement.
- Outgoing personality, eager to recruit volunteers and match them with appropriate stations.
- At least three (3) years related field experience
- Experience preparing reports and other required paperwork
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sufficient computers skills required including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, Google Forms or Survey Monkey, and database software
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- QUALITY & PRODUCTIVITY – Provides high quality services, processes and programs while consistently seeking ways to improve outcomes and enhance the organization. Meets or exceeds goals and objectives and consistently engages in productive work effort requiring minimal direction for manager.
- PROFESSIONALISM – Demonstrates self-control by maintaining composure in difficult situations; deals calmly and effectively with stressful situations. Projects a professional image of oneself and the organization and demonstrates a positive attitude towards work and the organization.
- ACCOUNTABILITY – Demonstrates a commitment to the position and accepts responsibility for personal actions. Comes to work on time and ready to work.
- COLLABORATION & TEAMWORK – Supports a positive team environment in which employees participate, respect and cooperate with each other to achieve desired results. Builds and sustains cooperative working relationships and demonstrates a positive attitude in work assignment and interaction with others.
- COMMUNICATION – Expresses self in a knowledgeable, coherent, and professional manner. Works to resolve conflict and promotes an open and honest environment for feedback and constructive criticism.
- LEADERSHIP – Provides direction and motivation and sets an example through open communication and modeling best practices. Provides appropriate advice, on-going feedback, support and resources to improve effectiveness of individuals and departments.
Interested? Contact John Eskate, Director of RSVP Philadelphia at email@example.com or 215-698-7300 x196.
- Chief Marketing Officer, Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS)
- PACDC: Programs Assistant (Part-time)
- PACDC: Administrative Assistant (Part-time)
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.