People's Emergency Center CDC
The Kitchen Assistant works with the Kitchen Manager on the preparation and planning of meals for PEC’s emergency housing kitchen located at Gloria’s Place and Rowan House kitchens. Duties include: assist with the preparation, cooking and serving well-balanced meals, assist with ordering, inventory, and other needs of the meals program, work with Kitchen Manager in providing nutritional guidance on food and cooking classes. PEC emphasizes a team approach and fully expects every person to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Food Preparation/Food Service
- Work with Kitchen Manager on food prep and menu planning of daily meals
- Inventory supplies, verify food deliveries and assist with food orders
- Monitor equipment and report service problems to the Supervisor
- Set-up and clean-up for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
- Make baby formula, coffee, hot & iced tea at intervals throughout the day
- Clean equipment on a daily basis or as scheduled and work with maintenance scheduling heavy cleaning as necessary
- Provide equipment and operational training to assigned students, volunteers and new staff
- Maintain cleanliness and adhere to all sanitation standards for dining area, kitchen and kitchen
- Follow all kitchen safety regulations
- Keep an accurate record of the number of meals served per government
- Assist in cooking classes, training and other food
- Client/Customer Orientation
- Organizing and Planning
- Team Skills
- Acceptance of Feedback
- Oral and Written Communication
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or E.D.
- ServSafe Certification required
- Experience operating kitchen equipment
- Proficiency with MS office programs: Word, Excel and Outlook
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in dietetics, food science, nutrition health studies or culinary arts is preferred
- Minimum of three years’ experience in kitchen and/or program management preferred; direct service provision a plus
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Sensitivity to and knowledge of the complexity of poverty and women’s homelessness, mental illness, trauma, substance abuse and the impact on individual and community health.
This job operates in a kitchen and office environment. This role routinely uses standard office and kitchen equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations +a j be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate objects or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Resumes should go to email@example.com
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.