K-16 Summer Institute: Education for Sustainability – May 31
Posted by PHENND on April 2, 2019
Friday, May 31, 2019 from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Location: School District of Philadelphia, 440 N. Broad Street
Agenda can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16vATNTIjd-fFBBsUFLM_UTEAzhL2VZQD?usp=sharing
Each year, PHENND’s K-16 Partnerships Network hosts a day long convening about university, school, and community partnerships and is a day of planning, reflection, and sharing of information. This year we are partnering with the Office of Environmental Management & Services at the School District of Philadelphia. Under this office, the District developed GreenFutures (http://www.philasd.org/greenfutures), a five-year sustainability plan that was created by District staff and stakeholders with a common goal: to make public schools great and green. This plan is in support of Action Plan v3.0 and it aims to make every school a green school that will better serve our students and communities. GreenFutures is made up of five sections: Education for Sustainability (EfS), Consumption & Waste, Energy & Efficiencies, School Greenscapes and Healthy Schools, Healthy Living.
Education for Sustainability (EfS) is a holistic framework to equip students, schools, administrators, families and the community with the skills, knowledge and habits of mind that will prepare them to create and contribute to a world where economic prosperity, social justice and responsible citizenship may be strengthened while restoring our health and that of the living systems upon which our lives depend. For more information visit the Cloud Institute: https://cloudinstitute.org/cloud-efs-standards/
Our Keynote Speaker this year is Jaimie P. Cloud, the founder and president of the Cloud Institute for Sustainability Education in New York City. Jaimie has been working with the School District of Philadelphia on adopting the Education for Sustainability standards and benchmarks.
9:00 Registration, Networking and Breakfast
9:30 Opening Remarks from PHENND and the School District of Philadelphia Office of Environmental Management & Services
Introduction to Education for Sustainability – Jaimie Cloud, Founder and President of the Cloud Institute
11:45 Concurrent Sessions
- Global Leaders Program – Manisha Patel, Destinee Anderson The United Nations Association of Greater Philadelphia
- Community Based Environmental Health in Schools – Marilyn Howarth, MD, FACOEM, Senior Fellow Director, Community Outreach and Engagement Core (COEC), Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, University of Pennsylvania
- Building STEM Skills through Aquaponics; leveraging formal and informal school partnerships to implement environmental education in a middle school.Erin McCool, Director of Strategic Initiatives, Riverbend Environmental Education Center & Dr. Sean Gardiner, Director of Curriculum and Instruction: STEM Education, Upper Merion Area School District
- Understanding the Urban Watershed – Ellen Schultz, Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Center
1:00 Lunch Discussion: Education for Sustainability – Implications for teachers and teacher candidates led by Jaimie Cloud
2:05 Concurrent Sessions
- Fiesta Schoolyards – Healthy Commons and a Strong Sense of Place – Elaine Lindy of the Lindy Family Foundation
- Panel Discussion – Youth Leadership in Sustainability: Beau Greisiger, student at Friends Central High School; Richard Ling, student at the University of Pennsylvania; Sarah Kuchan, student at Temple University; & Amani Reid, student at Temple University – Moderated by Jerome Shabazz Executive Director of the Overbrook Environmental Education Center
- Education for Sustainability – Philly: Developing Education for Sustainability Teacher Leaders – Victor Donnay from Bryn Mawr College, Sridevi Somireddy, Mastbaum CTE High School, Paula Miller, Lincoln High School, Maggie Osman, U School
3:30 Wrap-up, final thoughts/reflections
Lindy Award presentation for Excellence in K-16 Partnerships & Ice Cream Social
For more information contact Caitlin Fritz, Caitlin@phennd.org or 215-573-2379
More in "PHENND Events/Activities"
- Youth Symposium – Sep 10
- Next Steps AmeriCorps Team Leader for CCP & Temple – immediate start
- Pt-time Coordinator, PHENND Sustainability
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.