Jersey OurRoots Youth Projects Co-Coordinator
Posted by VietLead on December 17, 2019
VietLead is a grassroots community organization in Philadelphia and South Jersey that is creating a vision and strategy for community self-determination, social justice, and cultural resilience. We are staffed and led by community members with collectively over 25 years serving our community and are committed to working from love and solidarity. Our community programs include intergenerational farming, youth organizing, health navigation & healing, civic engagement and community defense. We do this through a Heal.Resist.Grow. framework that focuses a pathway to healing trauma in our communities, contesting for power to make systemic change, policy advocacy/campaign, and growing community-based solutions.
Job Description: VietLead seeks a highly motivated, communicative and responsible individual for our part-time Youth Projects Co-Coordinator position! The Co-Coordinator will work with the support of the Youth Projects Director and other staff team to manage and run year-long youth programs.
- Collaborate with a team including our Youth Projects Director, Food Sovereignty Director, and the Philly Youth Projects Co-Coordinators to co-develop political education workshops and trainings for volunteers, college interns, and high school youth
- Support in outreach to and recruit trauma impacted youth from local schools and communities, with emphasis on black & Latinx and Southeast Asian high school students
- Manage two weekly meetings and workshops/activities for 15 high school youth during school-year with the support of the Youth Projects Director including a weekend Farm Workday during Farm season
- Facilitate trainings on topics that range from issues facing our communities, advocacy, how to carry out a campaign, social justice, food justice, cooking, gardening, etc.
- Prepare materials for meetings including snacks, workshop items, sign-in/out sheets
- Support the Youth Projects Director in program administration including student and staff paperworks, student timesheets, and weekly data entry
- Monitor and provide Emotional, Academic, and Professional support for high school students that include one-on-one check-ins
- Manage the youth internal group communication including emails, phone calls, facebook group (posting updates, reminders, etc.)
- Guide and supervise an advanced group of 2-3 youth apprentices during the school-year to be leaders and facilitators including check-ins, and preparation phone calls
- Communicate consistently with other staff through emails, phone calls, and other channels of communications
- Must have experience in working with immigrant, of-color and/or high needs communities
- Good organization skills and ability to be creative and multi-task in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Good interpersonal abilities and communication
- Good emotional capacity and ability to build relationships with students
- Time management as job requires in office and out of office communication and duties
- Flexible work schedule (some evenings and weekends required)
- Ability to operate cars preferred
- PC computer literacy, proficient in Word, Excel, Google Drive and Internet usage
- Strong desire to gain experience working with youth and/or black, brown and Southeast Asian communities
- Culturally competent in working in an anti-oppressive, multi-lingual, multi-racial, multi-gender expression environment
Location: Camden, NJ
Salary: Paid position. 20 hours a week with potential full time. Position to start in Winter 2019.
- Director of Ending Hunger For Good, Philabundance
- Partnership Manager, OIC of America – Nov 6
- City Homeless Office Offers Youth Internship
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.