IT Manager, Prometheus Radio Project
IT Manager, Prometheus Radio Project
Posted on: November 20, 2012
The Prometheus Radio Project is a grassroots organization that works to expand and protect community radio stations, and to promote a more democratic and accountable media in the United States and around the world. From farm worker groups in Oregon to environmental justice groups in South Carolina to social justice groups in Puerto Rico, we help community groups develop their own radio stations as tools social justice organizing and community expression.
Prometheus led the ten-year campaign to pass the Local Community Radio Act, creating thousands of opportunities for new community radio stations nationwide. We also help community groups navigate the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the radio licensing process, and we provide technical assistance to groups building radio stations. We continue to advocate in Congress and at the FCC to expand community radio, and actively participate in the broader campaign for a better media. We are tireless in our fight to make community radio stations and other appropriate technologies available to every neighborhood, city, and town.
The IT manager guides and supports the technology infrastructure for the organization and ensures that all systems are running well and meet the changing tech needs of staff and the field.
Evaluate overall tech needs of organization
- Assess current tech systems
- Identify gaps and duplicate systems
- Make recommendations and create a plan to streamline systems to best meet the org needs including an assessment of maintenance required for each piece
Document all systems
- Overall listing of existing technologies, list of providers where applicable, maintenance schedules, and annual costs
- Conduct inventory of existing hardware, health status, and document specs for each including operating systems
- Make recommendations for upgrade as needed
- Ensure that all Prometheus tech systems are functioning well
- Perform regularly scheduled upgrades of all systems
- Perform regularly scheduled back-ups of all data
- Monitor, maintain, repair, and properly dispose of any technology used by or provided by Prometheus. This includes office computers, internal servers, our phone system (server and phones), printers, networking equipment, website(s), email, CRM and RadioSpark, etc.
- Ensure that all staff, volunteers and interns are able to utilize office systems.
- Set up and maintain workstations or personal computers for access to network resources including website, civi database, Knowledge Tree, printers, etc.
- Create and maintain user accounts for all resources
Training and Support
- Train staff/board/interns/volunteers on proper use of all systems
- Respond in a timely fashion to requests for support from users
- Troubleshoot problems with all systems
- Work with staff to create new systems as needed
- Make recommendations for best practices on the tech aspects of field work
- Respond to requests from partner organizations and board members on an as needed basis
- Commitment to the mission of Prometheus Radio Project
- Flexibility and the ability to learn new skills as needed.
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and adjust to unexpected situations
- Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize
- Must live or be willing to relocate to the Philadelphia area.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other staff, board members, volunteers and interns
Prometheus is committed to using open source technology wherever feasible and the ideal candidate will have experience in the following:
- Linux Systems Administration through CLI/SSH (Primarily Debian, also have Ubuntu/Lubuntu/CentOS) Troubleshooting and repairing both software and hardware related problems
- Configuration and troubleshooting Apache (virtualhosts,a2enmod) and MySQL (creating/dropping tables, mysqldump, mysql tuning)
- Familiarity with configuring domain names (A Records, MX Records)
- Experience with the management and configuration of Email
- Network Configuration and Management (Routers, Switches, DHCP, DNS)
- Virtual Machine Management (Especially KVM/Qemu LibVirt, LXC)
- Experience with VoIP Systems and hardware (FreePBX/Asterisk, SIP-based phones)
- Updates and management of office workstations: Linux (Ubuntu/Lubuntu), Windows (XP, Win7) and Apple (Snow Leopard, Lion) systems
- Ability to modify and/or write scripts (SH/Bash, others as needed)
- Familiarity with KnowledgeTree, Drupal 6, Drupal 7, CiviCRM, Munin, Webalizer, Bugzilla
- Prometheus has a collective staff structure and all paid staff receive the same hourly rate of compensation.
This position is 24 hrs per week and the salary for this position is $21,000 plus prorated medical benefits.
We are committed to developing leaders from communities historically disenfranchised from media access, including the poor and working class, people of color, immigrants, women, LGBT and queer people, and seniors and youth. People from these groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Prometheus considers applicants for positions without regard to any legally protected status.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.