Immigration Policy Updates
Posted by Welcoming Center for New Pennsylvanians on March 2, 2015
[From the Welcoming Center for New Pennsylvanians]
Did You Know…?
3 Surprising Facts about the President’s November Immigration Announcement
THESE NEW FEATURES WILL CHANGE THE IMMIGRATION SYSTEM
1) PAY FOR CITIZENSHIP APPLICATIONS BY CREDIT CARD
The fee to apply for naturalization is $680.
Previously, applicants for US citizenship were required to pay by check or money order.
Starting in 2015, they’ll be able to do so by credit card.
Read the Memo
2) EXPAND POST-GRADUATION WORK PERMITS
International students holding an F-1 visa may be able to get a longer-term work permit after graduating with a STEM degree.
Known as Optional Practical Training, or OPT, the permit allows students to demonstrate their value to an American employer.
Read the Memo
(scroll to Part B)
3) PROMOTE IMMIGRANT INTEGRATION
Traditionally, the US has practiced a “hands-off” model of integrating immigrant newcomers.
Now, an inter-agency task force will bring together federal cabinet departments to improve the way immigrants are incorporated into American society.
STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES
Do you have a question about President Obama’s newly announced policies? Contact us at email@example.com and your question may be included in one of our future bulletins!
More in "New Resources"
- Podcast: The Key with Inside Higher Ed – The Fall Enrollment Picture and Peril for Post-Traditional Students
- What Business Owners Need to Know about the Latest Round of PPP
- Programs funded by the Philadelphia Beverage Tax continue to thrive — Winter 2021 update
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.