Howley Alumni Counselor & Career Advisor, Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School
Posted by Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School on December 8, 2020
Contributes to the success of the Cristo Rey Philadelphia College Counseling Office by collaborating with the Director of College Counseling as well as key school staff and administration to support Howley scholars and all other alumni. Ensures students meet short, intermediate and long term outcomes including high school graduation, college readiness, college matriculation and completion of college education.
- Write Howley reports for Howley Foundation
- Semester meeting with each Howley Scholar
- Visit Howley scholars each semester
- Financial Aid Assistance for each Howley scholar
- Analyze NSC data to track alumni and follow-up based on enrollment reports
- Work 1-on-1 with students who are facing challenges in college
- Advise alumni and facilitate transfer and re-enrollment
- Assist with any financial aid issues
- Communicate with college administrators and staff about status of alumni
- Manage mentoring program that matches young professionals with college freshmen
- Identify internships and job opportunities for college students
- Prepares curriculum and teaches weekly counseling classes for juniors and seniors about the college and financial aid application process
- Prepares curriculum for a spring course dedicated to preparing students for success in college and the transition to college
- Provides students and families timely communication including newsletters/e-mail/phone call updates about upcoming important dates for college/tests/scholarships/workshops, etc.
- Communicate with alumni through Facebook, e-mails, phone calls, text messages
- Plan campus visits to check in with alumni in college
- Plan various alumni events: January Reunion, Senior Send-off Picnic, Freshman Welcome Home event, Alumni Career Night
- Publicize internship and job opportunities to alumni in college
- Send out school updates and pictures via Instagram and Facebook
- Provides ongoing communication and consistent support with assigned current college students (at minimum-two contacts per semester) including assistance with financial aid renewals, scholarship opportunities, and school transfers.
- Partners with school staff to identify and address risk factors for college attrition, actively supporting students through completion of post-secondary education.
- Communicates program goals and supports college students in becoming engaged on campus and in their communities
- Domestic travel to visit students on their college campuses required
Data Management, Organizational Collaboration/ Learning/ Training:
- Utilizes Salesforce Database & Naviance for consistent and timely data tracking, including up to date contact information, points of service entries, and student assessments
- Tracks progress toward multiple college goals (and other key data) and updates President/CEO, Principal, Director of College Counseling and staff on a regular basis.
- Communicates on a regular basis with school leadership team about progress of students toward high school completion, college matriculation and completion of post-secondary education; collaborates with staff to address specific student needs
- Gains specific knowledge and skills regarding financial aid and college access and success as needed to collaborate effectively with school staff and work directly with students.
- Participates and represents Cristo Rey Philadelphia in ongoing organizational training and in the Cristo Rey Network; ensures learning and best practices are communicated
- Uses knowledge gained through working with Post Secondary students to help high school staff to better position all students for the transition to post-secondary school.
- Empowerment Coach, Cathedral Kitchen
- Employment Training Program Coordinator and Case Manager, Cathedral Kitchen
- Remote Community Engagement Positions, CCPH – Jan 29
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.