Horticulture Specialist, Greensgrow
Posted by Greensgrow Farms on April 23, 2018
Greensgrow is a non-profit, social entrepreneurship project that has been creating innovative urban agriculture programs since 1997. We operate two community-based garden centers, summer and winter Farm Share programs, local farm stands, Mobile Markets and affordable food share programs serving a diverse constituency. Greensgrow also manages a community kitchen that serves as an entrepreneurial incubator for local food producers and holds educational workshops year round. Greensgrow prides itself in being a transparent and fun place to work. Successful team members will bring a sense of humor, flexibility in their role and a commitment to our core values of caring for people, planet, quality, and transparency. As a working farm, all employees are expected to help as needed with tasks outside their formal job description, including chasing chickens, shoveling snow, cleaning the kitchen, and giving tours.
This position requires great customer service interaction. Applicant should have an extensive knowledge of plants, annuals, vegetables, perennials and shrubs, as well as organic plant amendments and insect treatments. Must be able to impart plant knowledge to junior staff and give task directions. Must be a team player and be willing to do any task assigned to them. This position is part-time seasonal with opportunities to work full time hours during busy weeks. Weekends are a must.
• Taking care of all plants on the farm including watering, deadheading and merchandising.
• Assisting customers in planning and choosing plants for their gardening needs
• Designing and potting planters for sale
• Unloading, counting and organizing plants for sale
• Helping with weekly ordering process
• Merchandising vignettes around the farm.
• POS cashiering
• Must have customer service experience
• Must have extensive knowledge of plants – annuals, vegetables, perennials and shrubs
• Should have POS experience
• Should be creative and have a good eye for color.
• Must have a driver’s license. Experience driving a box truck a plus.
This is a part time seasonal position. Compensation is $13.5/hour. This position is eligible for staff benefits, including a reduce priced Farm Share, acupuncture and paid time-off.
How to Apply:
This position is available early to mid March. Please send resume & cover letter to email@example.com with “Horticultural Specialist” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Greensgrow is committed to workplace diversity and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, disabled, and all aged candidates to apply.
- Stoneleigh Emerging Leader Fellowship Opportunities
- Assistant Professor of Ethnic Studies and Director of Academic Innovation, Albion College, The Phila. Center
- Director of Training / Associate Director, Drexel University Counseling Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.