HIV Test Counselor, Preventing HIV Project
Posted by on January 02, 2012
TITLE: HIV Test Counselor
DEPARTMENT: PREVENTING HIV PROJECT/UAC
HOURS: 35 hours per week
ANNUAL SALARY: Negotiable
Preventing HIV Project provides HIV counseling, testing and referral services to individuals who are at particularly high risk of HIV infection because of the drug use or sexual behavior. Two (2) staff provides these services from a drop-in center at 2815 Kensington Avenue in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia as well as through street outreach in areas where drug users and homeless individuals congregate and in other recovery programs, housing programs, and shelters. The project also offers basic computer training through a computer lab targeting recovering substance abusers.
HIV Counseling, Testing and Referral Services
• Conducting HIV prevention outreach in the community setting in order to increase awareness of HIV risk and encourage HIV testing.
• Developing and maintaining a network of community based organizations where outreach activities and testing services may be provided. Work closely with agents of those organizations to insure ongoing, uninterrupted service delivery.
• Completing a risk assessment prior to the counseling session to insure that the counseling provided is client centered and based upon identified risks.
• Providing confidential pre-test counseling in accordance with City of Philadelphia, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and U.S. Centers for Disease Control standards, regulations and practices.
• Obtaining all required consents.
• Providing HIV testing on or off site using blood testing, oral mucosa, or rapid testing in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Referring all patients with positive testing results for confirmatory blood test.
• Providing result specific post-test counseling, including the identification of partners for those clients who test positive. Advise clients testing positive of the partner notification requirements. Recommend follow up testing for those clients testing negative who have significant risk factors for HIV infection.
• Reviewing safe sex practices.
• Referring newly diagnosed HIV+ clients to case managers and medical providers for needs assessments and medical care follow up.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• High school diploma or general equivalency diploma required.
• Certification to perform HIV counseling and testing by the ADS Activities Coordinating Office of the Philadelphia Dept. of Public Health required.
• A minimum of three (3) years experience providing HIV counseling, testing and risk reduction education services required.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Competence in Microsoft Office programs.
No phone calls please.
Submit a cover letter and resume by email only to email@example.com.
Position will remain open until filled.
Posted December 22, 2011
- Executive Director, Big Picture Philadelphia – Dec 7
- Stoneleigh Emerging Leader Fellowship Opportunities
- Assistant Professor of Ethnic Studies and Director of Academic Innovation, Albion College, The Phila. Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.