School District of Philadelphia
High School Science Curriculum Specialist, School District of Philadelphia
Job posting for High School Science Curriculum Specialist:
Opening date: 3/23/17
Closing date: 4/13/17
The curriculum specialist role requires particular expertise in a specific content area (High School Science). The curriculum specialist will develop and/or acquire Common Core aligned curricular resources and be responsible for maintaining an in depth understanding of National and Pennsylvania Common Core State Standards. It is expected that the specialist will work collaboratively with department leadership and other curriculum specialists in understanding the curriculum, identifying curricular resources and supports. He/she will have further responsibility of understanding and assisting in implementing current methodologies, effective instructional strategies and facilitating curriculum-related professional development.
- Works with other specialists and academic offices to design professional development opportunities for Principals and Teachers in the use of the curriculum engines and other curricular related resources.
- Assists District level school based instructional specialists, teachers, administrators and other staff as necessary to understand content area needs, innovations, instructional practices, strategies, etc.
- Coordinates the writing and revision of district curricula in the content area.
- Works in conjunction with Educational Technology staff to develop the curriculum engine.
- Serves as a key communicator regarding the content area to appropriate audiences.
- Provides leadership and works effectively as part of the Curriculum and Instruction department to enhance cross-discipline integration.
- Design benchmark assessment blueprint and review content to ensure alignment to district scope and sequence.
- Debriefs with leadership staff to analyze and support the instructional practices in schools.
- Plans and administers the implementation of instructional strategies to support academic achievement.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of full-time, experience as a regularly appointed teacher in a specific content area.
- Experience supporting teachers in improving instructional practices, participating in curriculum development and providing professional development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- all aspects of the content and Common Core Standards.
- current academic research and theory
- key components of curriculum and aligned assessments.
Demonstrated ability to:
- develop and align curriculum and related resources.
- plan and administer effective district-wide and school- specific professional
- review benchmark test content and design.
- build relationships and support teachers in understanding content-area
- instruction and the use of the curriculum engine.
- communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Possession of a valid Commonwealth of Pennsylvania certificate to supervise the area for which application is made
Salary: From 94705.00
Additional Job Information
This is a CASA represented position.
Interviews may be conducted to determine how well a candidate meets the established criteria. Note that not all qualified candidates may be selected for an interview. The selected candidate must have no anecdotal record on file and have not been subject to any disciplinary action within the past eighteen (18) months, and have an excellent record of attendance and punctuality during the last three (3) years (defined as no more than eighteen (18) occasions of lateness or absence for personal illness in the last three years (3) years with the exception of one extended long-term absence.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.