Global Youth Service Day Ideas: Advocate and Connect Volunteering With Voting
Posted by Youth Service America on March 30, 2021
Global Youth Service Day is the largest youth service and civic action event in the world and the only one that celebrates and builds the capacity of all youth ages 5-25 to help our communities and democracy thrive by working together for the common good. On Global Youth Service Day, we call on everyone to engage all young people and adult champions to serve, advocate, join, celebrate, or build capacity.
As we mark the 50th anniversary of the passage of the 26th Amendment lowering the voting age from 21 to 18, it’s important to remember that around 4 million people will turn 18 this year, so it’s always a good time to register and educate new voters! And, of course, increasing voting requires building an ongoing culture of civic participation, so it’s also always a good time to connect volunteering and service to voting and advocacy on the issues youth care about; and to call on our leaders increase youth voice and leadership in public decision-making.
Choose from 20 GYSD Activity Ideas in the Advocate category:
- Voter Registration – Register to Vote
- Voter Registration – Organize a Voter Registration Drive
- Voter Registration – Make a Plan to Support Student Voter Registration
- Voter Registration – Start a Future Voters Club or Voting Squad
- Voter Education – Teach About Voting and Civic Participation
- Voter Education – Organize a Community Dialogue
- Voter Education – Create Issue Guides and Develop Policy Proposals
- Voter Education – Volunteer with a Local Campaign
- Get Out The Vote – Host a GOTV Event or Celebration
- Get Out The Vote – Create a GOTV Plan for Election Day
- Get Out The Vote – Host a Mock Election
- Get Out The Vote – Recruit Poll Workers
- Issue Advocacy – Host a Youth Activism Training
- Issue Advocacy – Create Media and Become a Citizen or Student Journalist
- Issue Advocacy – Connect with Local Public Officials
- Issue Advocacy – Participate in an Advocacy Campaign
- Increase Youth Voice – Advocate for Automatic Voter Registration
- Increase Youth Voice – Create Formal Youth Voice Systems
- Increase Youth Voice – Participate in Student Voice Campaigns
- Increase Youth Voice – Advocate for a Lower Voting Age
More in "New Resources"
- New CDC Initiative: Racism and Health
- Grant for people coming out of prison
- Stand Up, Speak Up, Let’s Keep Each Other Safe: Stop Asian Hate
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.