Foster Grandparent Program Manager, Serve Philadelphia
Posted by City of Philadelphia on October 29, 2019
Serve Philadelphia is committed to reducing barriers, increasing knowledge and expanding capacity to promote active participation among Philadelphians so that everyone is empowered to create lasting positive change.
Foster Grandparents are role models, mentors, and friends to children with exceptional needs. The program provides a way for volunteers age 55 and over to stay active by serving children and youth in their communities. The program is a national model funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service as part of their Senior Corps programming. The City of Philadelphia’s Foster Grandparents program is one of the oldest and largest programs of its kind nationally.
Foster Grandparents are low-income senior volunteers who dedicate between 15 to 40 hours per week in Head Start and early elementary classrooms across the city, tutoring students one-on-one or in small groups. The City of Philadelphia’s Foster grandparent program has approximately 100 active senior volunteers serving 350 children in over 50 sites across Philadelphia.
The Foster Grandparent Program (FGP) Manager oversees all programmatic operations and will manage a team consisting of a Volunteer Coordinator and Site Coordinator. They are responsible for the overall implementation of the program and compliance with all grant requirements. The Program Manager will plan and develop all phases of the FGP program cycle and ensure consistent program quality.
This position reports directly to the Chief Service Officer.
In this position, the FGP Program Manager will:
- Oversee all programmatic operations for the Foster Grandparent Program
- Assist in hiring, training and supervising adequate staff to efficiently carry out, maintain and develop operations of the FGP
- Manage the day-to-day success of the Foster Grandparents team(ii.e. strategy meetings, weekly check-ins, bi-annual goal setting)
- Handle, track and process all financial operations
- Work with finance to process payroll for volunteer stipends
- Oversee the criminal history check process for volunteers
- Create a program of volunteer recognition events
- Strategically improve processes for program functions
- Support and convene the Advisory Council
- Oversee and strategize around volunteer and site recruitment
- In conjunction with FGP staff, develop and maintain close coordination and relationships with volunteer stations, including development of volunteer assignment plans
- Guide training curriculum for volunteers
- Compile & produce monthly reports
- Manage volunteer database
- Enhance the total efforts of FGP through active involvement with community organizations, other national service programs, and the National Service Task Force
- Oversee the planning, development, and implementation of ongoing public relations opportunities, including social media, in cooperation with the Office of
- Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service
- Provide ongoing support to volunteers
- Assess appropriateness and/or performance of volunteer stations
- Attend training conferences conducted or authorized by CNCS
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
- Customer Success Manager – PA (Remote), Aunt Bertha
- Senior Program Coordinator, Community Engagement & Family Programs, Barnes Foundation
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.