Food Access Programs Coordinator VISTA, Greensgrow Farms
Greensgrow Farms, in partnership with Hunger Free America, is seeking a dynamic AmeriCorps
VISTA member to join our team in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Greensgrow is a nonprofit urban farm with a mission to engage our neighborhoods in
cultivating social entrepreneurship, urban agriculture, and community greening. Founded in
1997, Greensgrow is a nationally-recognized leader in developing urban agriculture projects that
create jobs and provide access to fresh produce in low-income communities. Our SNAP Box
and Mobile Markets projects work with partner organizations in food desert communities to
increase fresh food access that promotes dignity and success in achieving and maintaining
long-term health goals. The Food Access Programs Coordinator will report directly to the LIFE
Program Manager and will be responsible for growing the capacity of our food access programs
and developing and implementing evaluation tools to inform future development.
This VISTA position is part of the selective National Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps
(AHOC). The Greensgrow Food Access Programs Coordinator will be 1 of 3 VISTA positions serving with Food Literacy Initiative Philadelphia (FLIP) a collaboration between the Free Library of Philadelphia’s Culinary Literacy Center (CLC), Greensgrow Farms and Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger to resource underserved families with comprehensive health promotion and fresh food access programs.
● Improve access to nutritious food options by enhancing awareness of the availability of
utilization of benefits at farmers’ markets; support local, community gardening and agriculture efforts; and provide nutrition education information and opportunities for low-income
● Recruit, manage, and train community volunteers to conduct screening and application assistance and to develop SNAP program materials and application assistance materials along with related trainings to community-based organizations.
● Assist with culturally sensitive marketing and communications efforts to low income
● Attend relevant meetings and conferences on behalf of Greensgrow and coordinate with
local agencies and partners.
● Implement and maintain member tracking and evaluation tools.
● Assist with recruitment and retention of volunteers.
● Assist community and faith-based organizations and state agencies in decreasing barriers and improving access to USDA FNS’s SNAP Employment and Training (SNAP E&T) Program in order to help enable people eligible for SNAP to obtain employment and/or increase their wages, with the hope that someday they will no longer need SNAP benefits.
● Experience with community outreach, teaching or training
● Knowledge of or interest in nutrition principles and food insecurity
● Familiarity with food resources such as SNAP, farmers’ markets, urban agriculture, pantries, and summer meals programs
● Familiarity with Philadelphia preferred
● Access to a reliable car is helpful, otherwise comfort with public transportation
● Proficiency in Spanish is a plus
● College degree preferred but not required
● 18 years of age or older
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills with diverse audiences
● Ability to multitask, and function independently and as part of a team
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office and social media platforms
This is a one year, full-time position beginning with orientation in late June/early July 2016.
You are expected to be available for the needs of your community and project at all times, including days, nights and weekends. Because AmeriCorps VISTA service requires a full
immersion in the project and community, there are restrictions on outside fulltime employment, along with some restrictions on political and religious activities. For more information, please review the AmeriCorps VISTA Terms, Conditions and Benefits information available here: http://www.vistacampus.gov/lessons/vista-terms-and-conditions.
● $1026 Monthly living allowance, paid biweekly
● Segal Education Award ($5,775) or End-of-Service stipend ($1,500)
● Health benefits*
● Free weekly share of fresh produce from Greensgrow
● One-time housing or alternative assistance of up to $400/service term**
● Training support up to $500
● Potential to forbear or defer student loans while in service
● Relocation assistance (if applicable)
● Childcare assistance (if applicable)
● Optional life insurance
● One year noncompetitive status for federal government positions
● A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums
*Members may need to apply for additional healthcare coverage per ACA. For more information on health coverage provided through CNCS, visit: http://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service#health_coverage
** Members are responsible for finding their own housing. A one-time housing assistance
benefit of no more than $400 per service term is available to members; however, members will need to fund their own housing beyond that.
How to Apply:
By March 25th submit a resume (no more than 2 pages) and letter of interest (no more than
1 page) Include Food Access Programs Coordinator VISTA in the subject line to: Monica
McCollin at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Candidates are also required to complete AmeriCorps’ program application online .
About the Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps: An initiative of Hunger Free America since 2010, the national Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps Program (AHOC) is one of the largest anti-hunger AmeriCorps VISTA projects in the country. Its main focus is to fight hunger and improve nutrition, primarily by breaking down barriers to accessing the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as the Food Stamp Program) as well as by expanding economic opportunity and ensuring healthy futures for all Americans mostly through the SNAP Employment and Training program. Members also serve to increase the capacity of anti-hunger
community organizations to help meet the needs of low-income community members, particularly to seniors, working families and non-English speaking populations.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.