Farm and Garden Manager, Food Moxie
Posted by Food Moxie on November 14, 2016
Farm and Garden Manager
Job Requirements: The Food Moxie Farm and Garden Manager (FGM) will be responsible all aspects of farm management and food production, including seeding, transplanting, weeding, cultivation, harvesting, washing, packaging, and distributing produce (through farmstand sales, donations, etc.). They will plan crops for new seasons, winterize, manage the greenhouse, and other work as necessary. The FGM will plan for and lead preteen and teen specific programming, work with teen interns at the FM Farmstand, and work with volunteers on the farm. The FGM will have an innovative approach to urban agriculture, a strong work ethic, the ability to lead and adapt, and a commitment to FM’s mission and values. The FGM will collaborate with FM program staff to facilitate programs. Roughly 20% of time will be spent on education and 80% on farming tasks.
• At least two years of professional farming experience with farm management and organic growing practices
• Some experience working with children and youth
• Ability to work in physically demanding environment while modeling endurance and a positive attitude
• Ability to lift 50 pounds; to walk, stand, kneel, drive, bend for long periods of time
• Ability to engage in other strenuous tasks as necessary including but not limited to tractor operation; maintenance and repair of tools and equipment; basic construction of buildings/structures; irrigation and plumbing, etc.
• Valid driver’s license (or willing and able to acquire one prior to starting employment) and regular access to a vehicle
• Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Respect for, and ability to work well with, diverse groups of people and youth
• Ability to teach agricultural concepts to a variety of audiences but especially youth
• Able to work effectively independently and as part of a collaborative team
• Manage all aspects of farm and food production
• Stay current in urban farming innovations and safe food handling; continually innovate and evolve farming practices
• Maintain quality, quantity, and selection of produce that satisfies programming needs and customers
• Manage weekly Farmstand, including student interns
• Maintain farming documentation and record keeping, including the following: Seed and plant orders; crop rotation; production yields, harvest logs, donation logs, successes/failures; inventory and maintenance schedules
• Manage, train, and support farm staff, interns, and volunteers
• Maintain clean and orderly site(s) for all visitors and program participants
• Attend appropriate community meetings; professionally represent FM and maintain a collaborative relationship with all community and program partner organizations; assist with events and other program activities as needed
Job Particulars: Full time / Salary / Year-round (evenings/weekends expected as needed during growing season)
Competitive benefits package, including paid vacation, health, dental, and retirement
Note: Employment with Food Moxie is contingent upon successfully passing Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check, and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal Background Check.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to Jackie@foodmoxie.org
Food Moxie Mission Statement:
Food Moxie empowers children, youth, and families with the values and knowledge to be healthy, strong, and informed through experiential activities centered on urban agriculture, nutrition, and the cooperative economy.
Food Moxie is the non-profit arm of Weavers Way Co-op, a member-owned, cooperative grocery store founded in 1973 with locations in West Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill. Food Moxie is administratively and financially independent of the co-op, and governed by a separate Board of Directors. Food Moxie is committed to a safe and inclusive community for people of all backgrounds, and is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people of color to apply.
- Play Captain Group Leader, Fab Youth Philly – May 7
- Play Captain Supervisor, Fab Youth Philly – May 7
- Big Picture Phila. School Job Openings
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.