RSVP of Montgomery County
Family Literacy Program Coordinator, RSVP
RSVP is seeking a part-time Family Literacy Program Coordinator to promote emergent literacy development by providing trained volunteers to help disadvantaged preschoolers develop their reading skills; and workshops for parents to empower them to help their children improve their literacy skills at home.
Work with Head Start and other select preschools in the counties of Montgomery, Chester and Delaware and Children’s Village in Philadelphia. Coordinate activities that support the family literacy programs Family Literacy Program Program Management:
• Manage relationships with partners: maintain regular contact with staff, develop effective working relationships and monitor volunteer placements.
• Provide volunteers with early literacy and Lucky Readers Club training
• Provide partner agency teachers/staff with annual Lucky Readers Club training
• Develop family literacy materials (book inserts, book delivery labels, training materials for parent workshops)
• Coordinate material translation for ESL families where applicable.
• Plan and deliver parent workshops
• Select appropriate titles and place orders for books, in consultation with Supervisor.
• Coordinate and support book wrapping events and book drives with Director of Operations
• Coordinate the distribution of books and newsletters, 6 times per year and as needed.
• Develop and circulate an annual survey to parents, analyze results and assess program outcomes. Volunteer Management
• Volunteer Management – Plan and undertake outreach activities to recruit more volunteers into the programs to meet target goals.
• Interview and train volunteers to ensure they are a good fit for their assignments
• Ensure volunteers have current clearances and clearances are renewed, when necessary.
• Coordinate a ‘Meet, Mingle & Munch’ event for volunteers annually to provide training and best practices
• Communicate with volunteers on a regular basis, provide ongoing support and assist with problem solving.
• Follow up on volunteers’ progress; monitor their assignment satisfaction and performance
• Acknowledge Program Sponsorship, per the Corporate Sponsorship Program
• Work with PR Manager to promote the programs and recruit volunteers.
• Nominate volunteers for service awards and provide supporting documentation.
• Ensure Memorandum of Understanding agreements are signed by partner agencies and renewed every 3 years.
• Prepare monthly reports for the ED and complete progress reports, as required.
• Update records in Volunteer Reporter
• Follow up with volunteers and/or partner agencies to ensure volunteer service hours’ records are up to date.
• Suggest additional funding sources and meet with funders/corporate sponsors, when appropriate.
• Perform other related duties as assigned Job Requirements
• Experience in early childhood education
• Strong leadership skills
• Ability to develop effective working relationships with staff in multiple schools
• Strong organizational skills and ability to manage own workload
• High Level of self-motivation and commitment to program goals
• Intermediate level skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Occasional evening workshop.
Experience working with volunteers desirable
• Spanish language skills desirable
• Successful applicant must be able to secure all necessary clearances, as a condition of hire.
To apply email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
[This posting was taken from the United Way’s Common Good newsletter dated August 7, 2018.]
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.