Family Literacy Educator, GrandFamily Literacy Program
Posted by SOWN on April 2, 2019
Grandfamily Resource Center at SOWN
Family Literacy Educator:
SOWN is seeking a Family Literacy Educator to provide a range of family literacy services for grandparents and the grandchildren aged 3-8 that they are raising. The educator will also participate in community outreach, data collection, project planning, and other activities as part of the GrandFamily Literacy Program. The Family Literacy Educator will have demonstrated experience working with parenting adults and teaching preschool/early elementary learners in a culturally and linguistically sensitive manner in an urban environment. S/he will hold at least a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in early childhood education/special education or literacy education, and have a minimum of two years of teaching experience.
The Family Literacy Educator will have the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate to develop and facilitate a community-based workshop series designed to help grandparents build the literacy/language skills of their grandchildren
- Collaborate to develop, coordinate, and facilitate interactive special events for families to increase and expand children’s language, vocabulary, reading, and use of words/language
- Engage in outreach to community organizations, schools, aging service programs and other educational/human service programs
- Coordinate and oversee digital literacy skills workshops for grandparents
- Track changes in children’s literacy skills and in adult behaviors through use of assessments and surveys
- Collaborate with children’s teachers/learning specialists, partner organizations and consultants to assess program’s impact on children’s literacy and enhance children’s learning
- Provide grandfamilies with information and referral for additional services that support family literacy success
- Work as a member of a team to ensure high quality program development, implementation, and coordination
- Participate in program reviews, reports, and meetings
- Advocate for the needs of grandfamilies with other systems
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Demonstrated computer skills with Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with database management
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent trauma-informed communication skills
Full time position. Monday through Friday employment.
The Family Literacy Educator will report to the Family Literacy Project Leader.
Apply by April 12, 2019. Please email Abby Binder at firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and letter of interest.
- Apply to Become a Americorps VISTA
- Staff Attorney, Public Interest Law Center – Apr 5
- Summer Openings for Staff and Apprentices at the Center for Black Educator Development
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.