Executive Director, The Laffey-McHugh Foundation
About the Foundation
The Laffey-McHugh Foundation Board of Directors strives to serve Delaware and the surrounding area, with a focus on Wilmington, by investing in organizations that improve the quality of life for all citizens, especially those who are most in need of help, practical assistance and guidance. The Foundation aims to partner with not-for-profits that make a true impact in achieving a healthy and balanced standard of living for vulnerable families and individuals through increased access to food and nutrition, affordable housing, important medical care and vital education. The Foundation is also interested in strategic initiatives that include the arts and the environment.
The Foundation is seeking an Executive Director to provide strategic philanthropic, grantmaking and operational leadership, including supervision of the foundation’s financial, personnel, and external communications management.
The Executive Director will be responsible for:
- Working with the Board of Directors to ensure it is properly constituted and trained to fulfill its governance function and honor the foundation’s mission, history and legacy;
- Providing an effective internal infrastructure that operates under all applicable laws and regulations;
- Assisting the Board of Directors in strategic planning to establish priorities, goals and measurable objectives;
- Developing, executing and evaluating the grantmaking program in alignment with the strategic plan; and
- Collaborating with relevant stakeholders to create effective relationships that further the Foundation’s mission and goals.
- The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors and work closely with the Foundation President to ensure strong governance practices. The successful candidate will have experience in the philanthropic sector, a demonstrated history of professional integrity, strong relationship building skills and a passion for justice.
- Knowledge of the Delaware region is preferred, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Proven track record of success in a leadership position overseeing operations of an organization or program with exposure to private foundations as well as board relations
- Minimum five years of senior level nonprofit organization experience preferred
- Experience leading ongoing strategic planning process and evaluation
- Knowledge of fundamental laws relating to private foundations
- Knowledge of principles and concepts of portfolio management for foundations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Accomplished public speaker
Click Apply for more information and application requirements.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.