Executive Director, Playworks
Posted by Playworks on October 10, 2016
In the role of executive director, you will report to a regional executive officer and work closely with a local board. You will be responsible for conceiving and implementing strategy for local fundraising and board development; leading efforts to establish new school partnerships; inspiring and managing a team that delivers Playworks programming in schools; and actively participate in activities to sustain Playworks’ mission in Pennsylvania.
Fundraising is a significant responsibility of the Executive Director and the successful candidate will appreciate and embrace this aspect of the job as much as any other. In collaboration with the Development Manager, the executive director is expected to be actively involved in fundraising and is responsible for helping create and implementing the development plan.
Specifically you will:
- Provide executive leadership for Playworks’ programming, including planning, implementation, expansion, evaluation and overall quality.
- Collaborate with the local leadership team to set and execute the regional impact strategy
- Work closely with the national leadership team and other city executive directors throughout the country to share best practices and promote learning
- Manage a budget to accomplish the program goals and the development of Playworks in Pennsylvania.
- Establish the organizational values, promote a fun and collaborative environment, communicating expectations and recognizing star performers- there are a lot of high-fives given at Playworks!
If you’re a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we’re providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- The strongest candidates will have an extensive professional network in the Philadelphia area that can be relied upon to achieve fundraising success and program growth.
- Strong candidates will have a deep knowledge of the the Philadelphia public school system and the philanthropic landscape.
- Success in the position will depend on your demonstrated record of success leading high performing teams, fundraising and managing a budget.
- Your prior leadership experiences and references should reflect a leadership style that is inclusive, adaptable and brings out the best in a team.
- You will set the example and lead by it.
- You will be the external face of Playworks requiring exceptional communication skills—the ability to listen, discern, think on one’s feet, inspire confidence and speak and write persuasively on a daily basis with people of diverse interests and backgrounds.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Strong experience developing, directing and leading both teams and complex projects with demonstrated excellence using outcomes measurement and goal-setting.
- Experience creating and maintaining high-level relationships within the philanthropic community, school districts, government and private sector.
- Knowledge of Philadelphia’s cultural and educational landscape.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter and creative thinker with experience producing results in a rapidly growing, deadline-driven, fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Sufficient comfort and understanding with technology to use it to advance initiatives and improve operations.
- Passionate commitment to Playworks’ mission and vision to improve outcomes for children and schools.
- 5+ years as a successful leader in the nonprofit sector, government, private sector or education with proven visionary management and strategic planning capability.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package – great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
If working and playing and working while playing sounds like your ideal place to work, then apply online to join our team:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested.
Other things you need to know:
- This position may require travel to various locations.
- You must have outstanding communication skills-in addition to maintaining an open line of communication, you’ll demonstrate excellent communication skills, including good phone and email etiquette and the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status or physical ability, and evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
- Customer Success Manager – PA (Remote), Aunt Bertha
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.