Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Executive Director of Athletic Affairs, Archdiocese of Philadelphia
To provide leadership, collaboration, and coordination in the area of the athletic programs to the high schools of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The Executive Director is responsible for ensuring compliance with PIAA and PCL By-Laws, consulting with school principals and athletic directors, as well as the PCL Board of Governors and Directors. The EDA is a member of the Superintendent for Secondary School’s team.
The Executive Director is ultimately responsible for maintaining and sustaining a culture that promotes good sportsmanship, integrity and professionalism among the athletes, coaches and staff. He/she is responsible for maintaining an environment that teaches teamwork and respect for all participants inside and outside the arena of competition.
- Serve as a consultant to the Philadelphia Catholic League Board of Directors and Board of Governors.
- Supervise the athletic directors in collaboration with principals to ascertain cooperation and needs to insure consistency of compliance, quality, and performance of the Athletics.
- Supervises all athletic directors to include shared responsibility for hiring, discipline or firing decision and training, mentoring and evaluating coaches and athletic staff.
- Organize, develop and direct interscholastic athletic programs which will promote, protect, and conserve the health and overall welfare of all student-athletes and participants.
- Develop, organize, and maintain objective metrics for supervising and evaluating directors, coaches, and athletic staff.
- This would include end of the year reviews of each athletic director in conjunction with their respective principal.
- Additionally, the EDA would ensure that the local AD is performing “end of season” reviews of all head coaches.
- Advise and ensure all programs conform to PA Dept. of Education relevant laws; National Federation High School Guidelines; as well as PIAA & PCL rules.
- To formulate and maintain policies that will safeguard the educational values of interscholastic athletics and cultivate the high ideals of sportsmanship.
- Monitor and maintain responsibility for athletic programs to be in compliance with all Sports Equity and Title IX laws.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a master sports calendar.
- Ensure that local athletic directors are collecting, processing and maintaining proper documentation for student athletes relevant to participation, i.e., physicals, eligibility forms, academic records, game contracts, health insurance, guarantees concussion forms, staff and officials’ clearances, etc…
- Develop and deliver a leadership-training program for all Athletic Directors of the 17 Archdiocesan High Schools.
- Develop a professional orientation program for new coaches, as well as athletic based professional development opportunities for seasoned coaches.
- Review and ensure accurate student-athlete eligibility lists.
- Perform site visits of athletic offices, practice sites, and competition sites.
- Work with the Director for Financial Aid to ensure that all Archdiocesan, PCL, and PIAA regulations are adhered to in the awarding of financial assistance to student-athletes.
- Ensure that all athletic programs conform to the Catholic Values of the Church.
- Work with regional media outlets for the purpose of consistent and fair exposure. Coordinate messaging with the Archdiocesan Communication and the OCE designees.
- Coordinate with the Director of CYO athletics to create a seamless and homogeneous delivery of athletic opportunities in accordance with Catholic values.
- Maintain a Board position with District XII of the PIAA.
- Attend all meetings related to interscholastic athletics, locally, regionally and nationally.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.