American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
Executive Director, ACLU of Delaware
The ACLU of Delaware seeks a dynamic and experienced chief executive to lead and significantly expand a civil liberties agenda throughout Delaware.
The Executive Director will have primary responsibility for managing the organization’s day-to-day operations, leading the organization’s fundraising efforts, directing the work and development of a professional staff, and serving as the primary spokesperson for the organization. The Executive Director will ensure that the organization is fiscally sound and that its internal and external communications, fund development, and programs are meeting the current and emergent needs and interests of its constituents.
The Executive Director must maintain a working and current knowledge of civil liberties issues and policies and be a leader and manager adept at balancing internal management with external impact and visibility. The individual must be an outstanding communicator who is able to convey effectively the mission and activities of the ACLU to a variety of constituencies, as well as to the broader public.
The ACLU of Delaware has experienced significant growth in recent years and has had a number of exciting victories. The new Executive Director will continue our responsible growth and contributions in Delaware.
The Executive Director’s essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Leadership and Vision
- Establish a clear vision for the continued growth and expansion of the ACLU. Provide direction to guide programs that align with the organization’s vision;
- Lead the organization’s fund development efforts – utilize a staff-driven program model focusing on increasing the number and capacity of major donors;
- Serve as an effective and visible spokesperson for the ACLU of Delaware, effectively articulating the organization’s’ history, programs, and mission;
- Represent the organization in the media, increase public awareness, and broaden the organization’s reputation to strategic constituents;
- Initiate and strengthen relationships and collaborations with organizations and leaders who are connected to the ACLU’s mission and purpose;
- Work in partnership with the board and staff to carry out policies approved by the board.
Management, Operations, and Program
- Ensure by effective management and leadership that the day-to-day operations are professionally and efficiently organized and administered;
- Direct legal, legislative, and communications programs;
- Oversee the organization’s financial operations, oversee the budgetary process, and ensure that sound financial controls are in place;
- Motivate and maintain a cohesive staff, ensuring that there is strong internal communication and coordination; recruit new staff when appropriate and evaluate performance;
- Effectively use technology to facilitate organizational management, fundraising, public education, and lobbying.
- Implement policies, programs, goals and objectives as established by the board;
- Work with members of the board to identify and help recruit new board members who will add diversity to the board and whose talents, interests, and commitment will help to further the ACLU’s mission;
- Regularly brief the board on the status of the organization;
- Engage the board in meaningful participation to further the organization’s goals;
- Maintain an effective and collaborative relationship with the board.
Learn more and apply: https://www.aclu-de.org/en/news/job-announcement-executive-director
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.