English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor, Center for Literacy
English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor 25%
The ESL teacher offers instruction to students who seek to learn English. Instruction is contextualized to meet the needs of the learners and may address content related to becoming a citizen, engaging in civic duties, entering the workforce, accessing post-secondary opportunities, or others.
• Instruct 1 ESL class with an average daily attendance of 15 learners/class, with successful completion (as defined by funder) of 20 learners per class.
• Design EL/Civics curriculum in accordance with Pennsylvania ESL Content Standards guidelines.
• Design and deliver lessons that are contextualized to learner’ lives and goals.
• Assess learners with standardized CASAS Reading tests and informal class quizzes.
• Maintain an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) for each student.
• Use these data to inform classroom instruction.
• Assist learners with activities related to their individual language and job related goals.
• Maintain individual portfolios on all learners.
• Work with ESL Referral and Transition Specialist to help learners achieve other goals such as employment or post-secondary education.
• Provide class data in a timely manner.
• Participate in ESL Team and All-Staff activities and meetings.
• Perform all duties related to administration and reporting.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Experience working with English as a Second Language learners required
• Strong written and communication skills required
• Computer literate required
• TESOL certification preferred
Tues/Thu 5:00-8:00 Squirrel Hill 1018 South 48th Street
$12.00 – 14.36/hour for 9.38 hours per week (6 classroom, 3.38 prep)
Available: September 13
The Center for Literacy is a non-profit agency dedicated to providing a range of literacy services, including reading, writing, math, life and work skills, to help a diverse population of learners meet their needs and achieve their personal and employment-related goals. For more information about the Center for Literacy and its services, visit us online at http://www.centerforliteracy.org.
In your submission please include your salary expectation and proof of previous accomplishments. Submissions that are lacking these items will not be considered.
All resumes are to be submitted through our website to receive consideration for the opening.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Center for Literacy
399 Market St., Suite 201
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.