Education Success Project Leader (VISTA)
Posted by Youth Build Charter School on July 21, 2020
Our organization is searching for a 12-month AmeriCorps*VISTA: Education Success Project Leader at YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School to build capacity (behind the scenes rather than direct service to students) to our career program.
YouthBuild Philadelphia is a life-changing, two-year program for 18-20 year olds who previously dropped out of high school. During the first year of the program, students complete a competency-based high school diploma, vocational training (in childcare, construction, customer service, or healthcare) and serve as part-time AmeriCorps members. In the second year of the program, alumni receive support to pursue their postsecondary goals in college and careers. YouthBuild Philadelphia is an award winning, flagship program of the national YouthBuild movement and has been named a Top Workplace by the Philadelphia Inquirer for six consecutive years.
To apply, send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com with the words “Education Success Project Leader” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
The Education Success Project Leader will work with YouthBuild’s academic team to increase the number of YouthBuild students who attain a diploma, and are academically prepared to be successfully placed and retained in postsecondary settings. We are seeking a college graduate, with excellent communication skills, the ability to proactively develop positive relationships, and a commitment to community engagement and education. The ideal candidate is passionate about education justice, is interested in creative thinking and problem solving, and is prepared to undertake a variety of projects to support student success.
- a living allowance of $14,097 annually ($542.22/biweekly pretax)
- an education award of approximately $6,195 upon successful completion of term of service
- loan forbearance w/ interest accrual payment (federal loans)
- child care coverage (if applicable)
- health benefits
This full-time AmeriCorps position is ideal for any candidate who is looking to gain experiences in any of the following areas: nonprofits, program design, research, data, postsecondary initiatives, career services, employer relations, college access programs, charter schools, and/or urban education. Regular hours for this position are weekdays from 8a.m. to 4p.m. with flexibility required for occasional night or weekend events/projects.
Term and Qualifications for VISTA Members
Applicants for our full-time AmeriCorps/VISTA Member position must:
- Be a college graduate as of June 2020 who is—
- proficient with Excel
- detail-oriented, and
- passionate about serving at-risk populations
- Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status
- Be in a position to offer full-time service for one year
- Be able to exhibit previous education, training, military, or work experience, and any other relevant skills or interests necessary to perform a specific VISTA assignment
- Be willing to live among and at the economic level of the low-income people served by the project and have a desire to provide needed community services to an under-served community
- Not listed in the National Sex Offender Registry database as convicted of a sex-related crime
Applicants cannot be the subject of legal proceedings (civil or criminal) that may consume time needed for their assignments
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
- Customer Success Manager – PA (Remote), Aunt Bertha
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.