Director, UC Green
Posted by UC Green on July 2, 2018
University City Green (“UC Green”) is a Philadelphia-based nonprofit focused on cooperative community greening. Through partnerships and education, UC Green empowers volunteer environmental stewardship in University City and its surrounding communities.
Each spring and fall, UC Green volunteers plant between 25 and 100 street trees and enhance public green spaces contributing hundreds of hours in service to the community. UC Green’s Pruning Club program meets biweekly during the summer to train volunteers in proper tree pruning techniques and prune trees on selected blocks each season. Since UC Green was founded in 1998, its volunteers have planted over 4,800 trees. The organization’s efforts are largely accomplished by a corps of dedicated volunteers working with the UC Green director and a volunteer board of directors.
UC Green is hiring a Director to serve as the sole organizational staff person. This individual will be the motivating force behind UC Green’s next phase of engagement and expansion. The director reports to the UC Green board of directors. They are responsible for fundraising, volunteer recruitment and engagement, marketing and communications, event planning, program development and execution, and making sure UC Green continues to realize its promise to green greater University City through the hard work and cooperation of community members.
● Raises individual, corporate, and philanthropic funds to support cooperative, community greening including grant writing, management of individual giving, relationship building with local and national corporate partners, and development of strategic partnerships.
● Solicits and submits applications for street trees from residents and businesses of University City and the surrounding neighborhoods.
● Plans and executes seasonal events, including biannual tree plantings in spring and fall, and bimonthly tree care events during the summer months.
● Recruits and engages a corps of community volunteers with a wide range of arboriculture skills and levels of involvement.
● Maintains records of volunteer hours, permissions, backgrounds checks, and other documents.
● Recruits and supervises student and community interns.
● Manages all communications: event outreach; social media accounts; press relations and serving as an organizational spokesperson; donor communications including biannual fundraising campaigns; corporate engagement; and community and volunteer engagement.
● Develops and maintains partnerships with businesses, nonprofits, governmental agencies, elected officials and their staff, and other community members.
● Represents UC Green at community events, meetings, conferences, etc.
● Engages and responds to community members on tree-related issues.
● Regularly reports to the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors; gives presentations at quarterly board meetings; and attends board subcommittee meetings when appropriate.
● Develops and implements annual budget.
● Works with an external accountant to maintain accurate budgeting and financial records including tracking and reporting on fundraising, payroll, and paying organizational bills.
● Inventories and manages UC Green’s tools and equipment.
● Bachelor’s Degree
● 3-5 years relevant work experience
● Volunteer management
● Community organizing
● Event planning and implementation
● Communications and marketing
● Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
● Ability to multitask
● Ability to lift 35 lbs and work outside in adverse conditions
● Master’s Degree
● Community greening, including tree planting, tree care, and beautification
● Valid driver license
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position starting immediately with benefits including employer-subsidized health, life, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, and paid time off. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Offer of employment will be contingent upon background check.
To apply please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “UC Green Director” as the subject of the email. First round candidates will have a short phone interview and final candidates will be interviewed by the board of directors. This position will be open until filled.
- Executive Director, Starfinder Foundation
- Development & Operations Coordinator, Youth Sentencing & Reentry Project
- Director of Operations & Development, The Center For Emerging Visual Artists
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.