School District of Philadelphia
Director, Post-Secondary Readiness, School District of Philadelphia
Oversees the implementation of post-secondary readiness programs. Coordinates programs and activities at designated middle schools and high schools which focus on college awareness and support and develops pathway options for students pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, healthcare, trades areas and transportation. Ensures that students, parents/guardians and the community are informed of school to career activities, increased scholarship opportunities, mentoring programs, job shadowing, internships as well as student support centers. Monitors programmatic activities and financial expenditures, and ensures that all programmatic activities are in compliance with governmental mandates.
- Oversees and directs the activities of staff; establishes areas of responsibility for subordinates; coordinates the planning and implementation of career and college guidance initiatives; coordinates and monitors program implementation.
- Develops and implements a timetable to achieve short and long-term goals; ensures that career and college guidance activities are aligned with other School District
- Plans and directs the establishment of procedures which will ensure program compliance with governmental mandates; reviews and approves plans for implementing policies.
- Interprets the goals and objectives of post-secondary readiness programs and initiatives to the community through conferences and workshops with individuals and groups.
- Promotes the post-secondary readiness programs; ensures that accomplishments and activities are communicated to internal and external audiences through a website and newsletter.
- Prepares and submits reports to senior management.
- Serves as a liaison to school administrators, external evaluators and workforce readiness partners including colleges, community colleges, trades and technical schools.
- Manages the project budget; prepares annual budget estimates for the post-secondary readiness programs.
- Master’s degree program from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of full-time, paid, professional administrative experience, which has involved working in an educational setting and has included managing grants and working with community or corporate partners, at least three of which have been in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
- All work experience related to the position must be included on the resume.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- the current practices, methods and techniques utilized in the implementation of post-secondary readiness initiatives.
- the methods and techniques used in effective program planning, design and administration.
- initiatives and current issues facing urban public education.
- governmental mandates impacting education.
- supervisory methods and techniques.
- budgetary practices and procedures.
- software applications used to maintain databases.
Demonstrated ability to:
- interpret all relevant District and federal rules and regulations concerning program administration.
- guide and channel resources, ideas and recommendations for problem solution and program refinement.
- plan and direct program operations.
- effectively lead and manage a work team.
- manage and interpret data.
- use a personal computer.
- effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.