Director of Volunteer Engagement – Full-Time
About Mighty Writers
Mighty Writers is a nonprofit that teaches kids, seven to 17, to think and write with clarity. Our free, out-of-school writing programs in six Philadelphia neighborhoods & one Camden neighborhood have grown to serve 3,000 kids a year.
The Director of Volunteer Engagement reports to the Education Director and will serve as lead for all volunteer initiatives and programs for all Mighty Writers volunteers (500+ individuals annually). These initiatives include but are not limited to: volunteer on-boarding, volunteer communications, volunteer appreciation & retention, and volunteer engagement in larger MW events (MightyFest, holiday parties, graduation). The Mentorship Coordinator reports to the Director of Volunteer Engagement.
The successful applicant will be entrepreneurial: able to build unique programs, to be accountable and to take ownership of program results. S/he will have high expectations for volunteers, will work well with diverse constituencies and will have a good rapport with people of all ages and backgrounds, including children, teenagers, parents and volunteers. S/he will be self-motivated, work well under pressure and be able to handle several projects at one time. S/he will have good judgment and an eye for detail; as well as the ability to see the big picture.
- Volunteer On-boarding
- Make initial phone contact with volunteers
- Facilitate the volunteer clearance process according to PA or NJ state law, as applicable
- Facilitate general volunteer orientation at various MW locations throughout the year, no less than once/month
- Be the main point of contact for all volunteers until you pass them off to site leads
- Once volunteers are completely on-boarded to the organization, provide a clear, standard letter of introduction to the site lead where they will be working
- Communicate via email no less than once/month to all active volunteers
- Communicate via email no less than once/month to all inactive/potential volunteers
- Utilize MW’s social media platforms to keep volunteers engaged
- Ensure volunteer profiles are complete and include all clearance information
- Record phone calls & other actionable volunteer contact in Salesforce
- Develop a strong working knowledge of the Salesforce platform for volunteer management
- Use Salesforce to assign volunteer-related tasks to colleagues at all levels of the org
- Conduct volunteer exit interviews to learn from their experience and improve programs
- Design & implement a “Volunteer of the month” program
- Schedule at least one volunteer appreciation event per month (a happy hour, cultural event, sports event, community painting activity, brunch or other event), rotating to various neighborhoods in Philadelphia and Camden
- Design & implement a program to recognize volunteers’ birthdays
Volunteer Engagement in Org-wide Events
- Conduct outreach, scheduling and training for volunteers participating in org-wide events, including but not limited to MightyFest, holiday parties and/or graduation.
- Conduct volunteer follow-up after org-wide events, thanking volunteers and sharing pictures, stories and/or outcomes.
- Design, deliver & manage a robust volunteer program serving 500-800 volunteers annually
- Be one of the public faces of the organization and represent Mighty Writers to the media, other organizations and the public at large
- Remain knowledgeable and informed regarding any issues, regulations or professional standards that may impact Mighty Writers’ policies or operations
- Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent or sensitive information
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Nonprofit Administration, Arts Administration, Liberal Arts, Business or Public Administration (preferred, but not required); and/or equivalent prior experience
- Experience working directly with city youth in an educational setting
- Some writing skills preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of direct experience working with volunteers in a nonprofit environment
- A strongly held educational philosophy of how to inspire volunteers
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational, time management and computer skills
- Proven management and leadership capabilities
- Interest, enthusiasm and affinity for working with children, youth and adults
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Cover letter should answer these questions:
- What is your philosophy of how to inspire volunteers to be effective working with youth? Where does this philosophy come from?
- How does your previous work and life experience qualify you to take on this position?
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.