Director Of Special Education, KIPP Philadelphia Schools
Posted by KIPP Philadelphia Schools on April 24, 2017
- Consult with School-based Special Education Coordinators to develop, monitor, and evaluate the effectiveness of special education programs and other student supports (Early Intervention, 504, ELL, etc.) including weekly check-ins and coaching.
- Analyze student achievement data across multiple metrics and lead/consult on programmatic design decisions to enhance student outcomes.
- Consult with schools on high-need student cases that involve special placement decisions or unique logistical issues (i.e. transportation, medical services, homebound instruction, etc.).
- Co-lead all cases involving lawyer or parent advocate involvement in collaboration with school personnel.
- Facilitate monthly evening community of practice meetings for Special Education Coordinators.
- Serve as central point of contact for external and internal questions related to Student Supports (including services, discipline, etc.).
- Serve as Network Restraint Trainer for all required staff members.
- Design and deliver Special Education Professional Development during Regional Development Days and/or through school-based PDs.
- Work with schools to implement the pre-referral process (e.g. SAP, RTII, Child Find) and support implementation of a multi-tiered support system (MTSS).
- Manage regional Special Education and 504 documentation system including a regional transition to a new web-based program for the 17-18 school year.
- Create and implement systems of tracking and reporting that allow schools to measure effectiveness of Special Education program.
- Monitor compliance of all Special Education, 504, and ELL files and evaluations through regular file audits and assistance with obtaining paperwork from prior schools.
- Work with recruitment team to support hiring of all related services staff.
- Negotiate and monitor region-wide contracts with service provider vendors and independent contractors to ensure schools utilize cost-effective services.
- Manage region-wide Access Billing process (Medicaid) in conjunction with regional Operations team.
- Create Special Education Budgeting Recommendations and consult with Special Education Coordinators, School Leaders and the Managing Director of Finance.
- Work with schools to meet all requirements for cyclical monitoring by the Bureau of Special Education or for charter renewals.
- Work with regional Operations team to ensure valid data for all state and local reporting.
- Degree in Special Education required
- Master’s Degree requiredMinimum three years Special Education Leadership experience required
- Experience with management and/or coaching of professional staff
- Knowledge of national, state, and local special education statute and law required
- (Preferred) PA State Certification in Special Education
- (Preferred) Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Special Education Supervisory certificate or Commonwealth of
- Pennsylvania Administrative certificate for K-12
- Skills and Characteristics
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making; facilitate various size working groups, work collaboratively, and supervise people
- Ability to gather and analyze data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Flexible and able to multi-task within an ambiguous, fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions
- Highly organized
- Proficient with web-based Special Education documentation systems (e.g. Easy IEP)
- Demonstrate resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Uphold the KPS core values of respect, integrity, directness, grit, joy and commitment to the mission and vision of KPS
For a detailed job description, please visit: http://kippcareers.force.com/JobDetail?id=a0X0W000008YSo4
- Staff Attorney, Public Interest Law Center – Apr 5
- Summer Openings for Staff and Apprentices at the Center for Black Educator Development
- Manager, Network Organizing, Engagement, & Knowledge – Mar 26
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.