Director of Operations & Development, The Center For Emerging Visual Artists
Posted by Center For Emerging Visual Artists on August 11, 2020
The Center for Emerging Visual Artists (CFEVA) seeks energetic arts management professional with a strong business acumen, excellent communications skills, fundraising experience, and a keen interest in Philadelphia’s vibrant visual artist community to lead the organization’s Operations and Development strategies. The Director of Operations and Development will be part of a two-person organizational leadership team, working alongside the Executive Artistic Director to drive CFEVA’s mission and strategic goals.
With of mission to cultivate, nurture, and advance the careers of emerging visual artists while simultaneously expanding opportunities for the public to discover and connect with art, CFEVA’s services raise the profile of Philadelphia’s professional artists, foster artistic experimentation and innovation, and showcase how vibrant artistic communities boost civic engagement. Through fellowships, residencies, educational outreach, regional exhibitions, professional development, and city-wide events, CFEVA provides artists with the tangible resources needed to develop viable and sustainable careers. CFEVA was founded by the late Felicity R. “Bebe” Benoliel in 1983 as the Creative Artists Network, and has transformed over the last 35 years into one of the region’s leading service providers for artists. The organization recently crafted a new Strategic Framework, which will guide the organization’s endeavors to remain at the forefront of the intersection between art and community and the region’s obvious resource for navigating a career in the visual arts.
- Assure programs and services are relevant and responsive to visual artists. CFEVA’s goal is to make Philadelphia a hub for working artists.
- Enhance CFEVA’s relationships with individuals, peer organizations, area universities and colleges, and the business community to bolster our resource network.
- Strengthen operational capacities to ensure CFEVA’s business model remains agile.
- Reconfigure and grow the current staff, and investigate a permanent solution for its physical space needs, with a goal of being in a new home by 2022.
The Director of Operations and Development provides the leadership, strategic direction, management and coordination of CFEVA’s Operations and Development functions. Part of a two-person organizational leadership team, this position works in close collaboration with Program staff and reports directly to the Board of Directors. As CFEVA’s Chief Fundraiser, the Director of Operations and Development will spearhead all Development efforts, including cultivating and stewarding individual, corporate, government and foundation relationships with a goal to secure diverse streams of contributed revenue. This position also helps to raise the visibility of CFEVA’s mission with external constituents while balancing CFEVA’s business operations.
Roles And Responsibilities
- Craft and execute an annual Development plan that includes identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual and institutional relationships.
- Manage individual donor campaigns, including growing the Collector’s Circle leadership annual giving program, driving Annual Fund efforts, and securing major gifts through special appeals.
- With support from interns and program staff, spearhead foundation and government grantseeking efforts, including research, strategy development, proposal preparation, budgeting and reporting.
- Identify and secure corporate relationships through CFEVA’s custom exhibition program and for exhibition and event sponsorship.
- In partnership with the Special Events Committee, plan and implement CFEVA’s annual fundraising benefit—the CFEVA Art Party—including crafting the event theme, securing sponsorship and individual Host Committee support, managing vendor relationships, and coordinating logistical details.
- Coordinate other special events, including Collector’s Circle events, POST fundraisers, and cultivation activities, and serve as a welcoming body at all CFEVA events.
- In partnership with the Executive Artistic Director, craft a vision for CFEVA’s Marketing and Public Relations platform. Guide program staff in executing digital marketing and social media efforts, draft and distribute press releases and media advisories, and track media impressions.
- Actively prepare for and participate in all Board meetings and serve as the primary liaison to the Finance, Development and Executive Committees. Maintain positive Board relationships. Support the Board recruitment process.
- Supervise a part-time Bookkeeper, a part-time Project Coordinator, and co-manage program staff and interns.
- Working with the Board Treasurer, Finance Committee, and part-time Bookkeeper, manage CFEVA’s financial systems, with a keen eye on A/R, A/P, and cash flow projections. Gather material in preparation for the annual audit, distribute 1099s and W-2s. Draft the organization’s annual operating budget.
- Manage CFEVA’s benefits program, including serving as primary contact for the organization’s healthcare, dental, Simple IRA, and payroll providers. Document internal policies and procedures and ensure the CFEVA Handbook for Employees is followed. Annually renew CFEVA’s insurance policies.
Learn more and apply: https://cfeva.org/cfeva/employment
- Associate Dean – Equity and Access, Admissions, University of Pennsylvania
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.