Director of Major Gifts, Gesu School
Gesu School, an independent elementary Catholic School, seeks a fundraiser in the role of Director of Major Gifts. Reporting to the Vice President of Development and working directly with Gesu’s President, as well as the development team, this position will: Manage all elements of the Sponsor a Child (SAC) program; identify, cultivate, and solicit a prospect pool of major donors; travel extensively throughout the region to pursue and build enduring relationships, completing up to 10 visits per month; and, articulate Gesu’s campaign priorities, values, and ambitions through excellent informal and formal verbal and written communications.
The Director of Major Gifts will work closely with Gesu’s President, Vice President of Development, and Board Development Committee to plan and implement fundraising strategies. A successful candidate will have a record of accomplishment in securing major gifts and meeting fundraising goals; exemplary interpersonal and communication skills; a proven ability to work both independently and as part of a team; and a passion for youth and education
Major Gift Fundraising
- Manage a portfolio of 100-150 Major Gift prospects. Work with President and Vice President of Development to appropriately assign cultivation and solicitation of individual Major Gift prospects. The Director of Development will primarily be responsible for securing a variety of individual major gifts under $10,000 with a particular focus on SAC.
- Develop and execute a plan for identifying, cultivating and soliciting new SAC prospects. The plan should include specific objectives with timelines and an evaluation process.
- Plan and coordinate Regional Open Houses and other prospect cultivation events.
- Ensure accurate gift entry and timely acknowledgement for major gifts donations.
- Work with Development team to help develop and implement additional campaigns to help expand Gesu’s Major Gifts program.
- In coordination with Development team, identify and solicit major individual donor support for Gesu’s annual special events, including Symposium, One Day Challenge, and Gala.
Sponsor a Child Program Management
- Promote awareness and support for the SAC program.
- Partner with Gesu’s President and Vice President of Development to secure annual sponsorship renewals (ex. renewal request letters, follow-up phone calls, etc.).
- Partner with Vice President of Development to execute an annual stewardship plan for current SAC donors: luncheons, letters from children, school photos, student updates, as appropriate, etc. Create and adhere to a timeline for the year.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current SAC donors by scheduling visits and phone calls.
- Track all SAC student scholarship assignments and communicate with President and Principal regarding sponsor/child relationships.
- Collaborate with Vice President of Development to develop annual goals, plans, and budgets for a comprehensive, strategy-driven fundraising program
- Develop strategies for existing donors to effectively “move” them through a meaningful cycle of giving
- Advise the President and Vice President of Development on matters relating to fundraising activities
- Works with Vice President of Development, Finance and Office of the President to produce quarterly fundraising projections as part of the institutional forecasting process
- Serve as staff partner to the Development Committee of Board
- Assist Development Team with preparation and day-of execution of annual special events, including Symposium, Christmas Concert, and Gala.
- Manage general office tasks including inventory maintenance and ordering of office supplies, stationary, etc.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree required and Master’s degree preferred.
- Candidate must exhibit a genuine commitment to the mission and philosophy of Gesu School.
- 5+ years of fundraising experience required with a successful record of accomplishment soliciting and stewarding major gifts.
- Proven ability to network across diverse groups of constituents.
- Expertise utilizing Raiser’s Edge or Raiser’s Edge NXT preferred.
The Director of Major Gifts is a key part of the Development team which consists of the Vice President of Development, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, Director of Annual Giving and Director of Communications. He/she will be expected to collaborate with Development team, President’s Office, Finance Office, Graduate Support, and provide assistance as determined by the Vice President of Development. Additionally, he/she will be expected to respond to Gesu faculty and administrative requests as deemed appropriate by the President of Gesu School and the Vice President of Development. This position requires occasional participation in Gesu events that take place in the evenings, on weekends, and off-site. Regional travel required.
Please send cover letter, resume and references to Rob Weinstein, Vice President of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Gesu School
Gesu School, located in North Philadelphia, is an independent Catholic School, pre-K to 8th grade, in the Jesuit and IHM traditions serving 450 students. Inspired by the Jesuit and IHM traditions of social justice, faith, hope and love, Gesu School strives, without selective admissions, to provide a quality, innovative education for its neighbor children to empower them to break the cycle of poverty and violence.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.