Director of Finance & Operations, Character Lab
Character Lab is looking for a Director of Finance & Operations. Reporting to our COO and working alongside our other Directors, this individual will oversee the financial and operational needs of the organization. This is an exciting opportunity for a finance professional with operational and nonprofit experience to ensure the long-term financial sustainability of Character Lab.
The ideal candidate has prior experience in a nonprofit environment managing finances. They should be equally comfortable diving into spreadsheets to analyze financial information and taking a bird’s-eye view to align the organization’s financial strategy with its programs and lines of services. They will manage key external partnerships, identify and correct inefficiencies, and develop effective strategies to improve operational and financial processes. As a member of Character Lab’s Directors’ team, the ideal candidate will also play a critical role in strategic decision-making across the organization.
- Provide strategic thought-partnership to the COO and other Directors to ensure alignment of organizational priorities across functions
- Oversee and lead annual budget development process, including revenue and other financial forecasting
- Maintain and upgrade operational and financial management systems, processes, and policies
- Maintain our internal controls and financial standards & procedures
- Oversee all accounting functions performed by our finance and accounting vendor
- In collaboration with the other Directors, develop statements of work, including proposed budgets for fee-for-service arrangements
- Oversee preparation and finalization of quarterly and annual financial reporting materials for funders, foundations, and the Board
- Coordinate annual audit process, liaising with external auditors and the audit committee of the Board
- Ensure proper and timely filing of all federal and state tax returns and registrations
- Manage the organization’s physical infrastructure (e.g., office space needs) and office operations (e.g., inventory and supplies)
- Manage all organizational technology needs, including but not limited to: purchasing of new equipment and software, overseeing copier agreement and maintenance, etc.
- Establish and maintain ongoing trainings to educate employees on organizational processes, policies, and procedures.
- Manage and support our Operations & Finance Associate
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (MA/MBA preferred)
- 5+ years of professional experience in finance, operations, or nonprofit management, including experience supervising others
- Prior experience in a nonprofit highly preferred
- Fluent understanding of financial & operational systems and procedures
- Comfortable working with collaborators and thinking strategically about system improvements and efficiencies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly proficient in Microsoft platform (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), G Suite platform (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides), and finance-related programs (Quickbooks, Expensify, etc.)
Learn more and apply: https://characterlab.org/careers/
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.