Director of External Financial Operations and Client Services, Penn Center for Community Health Workers
Posted by University of Pennsylvania on October 8, 2019
“The new business model for health requires healthcare organizations to address not only medical problems, but social problems like hunger, loneliness, and trauma”
-Dr. Shreya Kangovi, Founder of Penn Center for Community Health Workers, Harvard Business Review
About the position: Business and finance leaders who are looking to transform healthcare: this is the position for you. Leverage your business and financial acumen to scale up a nationally-recognized healthcare model across the United States.
Community health workers (CHWs) are trusted laypeople who can support high-risk patients with social needs –hunger, loneliness, trauma—that often drive poor health and high costs. The Penn Center for Community Health Workers has developed IMPaCT, a standardized, evidenced-based Community Health Worker model. IMPaCT’s outcomes and compelling 2:1 return on investment have generated demand for expansion across the healthcare ecosystem – from state Medicaid plans to integrated providers and the VA Health Administration. As we enter this new and exciting phase of growth, we are looking for a strategic, versatile, highly-organized individual to direct our business and financial operations. This position requires someone who can oversee general business administration as well as develop and lead client relationships in the Center’s growing business portfolio. The Director will work with health systems, governments, and community organizations to replicate the IMPaCT model at the state and national level. This position will also manage financial operations with support from a Financial Administrative Coordinator. Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, this is a key leadership role in a fast-growing organization.
About the organization: Penn Center for Community Health Workers is a center of excellence for CHW research, patient care and dissemination. Our IMPaCT model, which has been featured in Forbes, National Public Radio and the New York Times, has served more than 10,000 people in Philadelphia. The program is proven to improve primary care access, chronic disease control, and mental health while reducing hospital days by 65%. More than 1,000 organizations have accessed our tools (http://chw.upenn.edu) and we provide technical assistance to organizations to help them create, launch and sustain effective CHW programs. We are part of the University of Pennsylvania Health System, which provides competitive salaries and exceptional benefits, including an annual tuition benefit at Penn, including the Wharton School.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Business Development and Administration
• Manage new business and prospects including sales calls, providing product demos and presentations, issuing proposals, follow ups and answering questions
• Lead contract negotiations; manage existing customers, e.g. upselling and troubleshooting
• Create large scale custom proposals, including pricing and terms, and manage the process of ongoing interactions and negotiations with customer and legal teams (in concert with our Office of General Council)
• Interface with leadership team, manage and create reports and analyses related to business development pipeline
• Develop business models and pricing for products, which span online training, software applications, work practice manuals, etc.
• Provide guidance and recommendations on all products, including those in pipeline, based on available market research and competitive scan
• Manage customer databases for marketing and sales purposes, with support from Financial Administrative Coordinator
• Manage and improve processes related to operations for customer sales and communication
• Source and vet new vendors, and manage ongoing vendor relationships
• Manage business aspects of grant-funded work, including identifying issues that have a business impact, liaising with Office of General Council as well as University Office of Research Services on legal issues, negotiations
• Research, evaluate and incorporate related requirements including BAAs, technology requirements, state government requirements, grant requirements in concert with Office of General Counsel
Finance and Accounting
• Develop and manage annual budget, interfacing with Chief Strategy Office and Corporate-level leadership
• Reconcile monthly revenue and expenses to corporate accounting, with support from Financial Administrative Coordinator
• Oversee budgetary decisions including revenue, invoices, billing, variances, approvals, requests and requisitions, unbudgeted expenses, salary adjustments, new hire activity, etc.
• Oversee financial management of grants, including tracking spending and preparation of financial and narrative reports and projections
• Prepare spending analyses to inform senior management decisions
• Education: Bachelors or Associates with 8+ years of experience, MBA preferred
• Experience in client services and/or managing customer accounts, >30+ active preferred
• Experience negotiating business services and licensing contracts
• Experience with the Lawson (or similar) General Ledger system preferred
• Experience successfully managing a complex budget, >$5MM preferred
• Management level accounting, finance, bookkeeping experience
• Experience developing marketing and public relations campaigns
• Product development experience in software, online education or equivalent
• Very detail oriented, with exceptional organizational systems and skills
• Ability to manage projects independently
• Well-rounded, strong interpersonal, math, writing and communication skills
• Ability to work well with all levels of staff, as well as outside clients and vendors
• Polished communicator
• Ability and experience presenting to senior leadership
• Experience with mission-driven organizations and/or underserved populations a plus
• Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word and Excel, PowerPoint
Send a cover letter and resume to Elena Butler at Elena.Butler@pennmedicine.upenn.edu with the subject line “Financial and Administrative Coordinator Application.” Please label attachments as follows:
No phone calls please.
- Research Project Coordinator
- Executive Director, Montgomery County Redevelopment Authority
- Director of Administration, City of Philadelphia Law Department
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.