Director of Development, Pathway School
Pathway Mission Statement
At its founding in 1961, Pathway was among the very few schools in the greater Philadelphia area designed exclusively for the learning disabled child, and unified the disciplines of psychology, psychiatry, medicine and social work with education. Since then, The Pathway School has increased the size of enrollment and staff who support the students, developed the vibrant learning environment located on a 12-acre campus in Jeffersonville, and solidified its reputation as a leader in innovative, quality programs and services for those who need a specialized education. Throughout all of its growth, the school’s mission has remained the same: to build academic, social, and life skills in students with special needs, to promote their success and independence after Pathway.
Reports directly to the School President
The core function of this role is to oversee the school’s overall advancement through development and fundraising in a non-profit, educational environment and in alignment with school-wide growth strategies. This function supports the trustees and senior management in conception, promotion and implementation of ongoing and special programs to generate financial support and volunteer involvement and to ensure the development of informed and supportive constituency and public.
Master’s Degree in Business, Education, Marketing/Public Relations (Non-Profit Arena) Preferred or a Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in these areas with more than 5 years of experience.
At least 5 or more years of experience in a non-profit, educational or clinical environment specifically in development with a strong background in annual giving strategies, membership programs and events. Development experience in an educational facility or treatment center for special needs children and adolescents is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiar with a variety of the field’s fundraising, community and corporate giving programs.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in communication with an appreciation for the Mission of the School.
- Strong organization and project management skills required.
- An affinity for networking and ability to build rapport with donors, volunteers, and the public.
- Comfortable providing hands-on support at events.
- Willingness and ability to travel locally for events when needed.
- Ability to Manage Change;
- Ability to Provide a High Level of Customer Service;
- Ability to Provide Professional Services to both internal and external customers;
- Ability to be Innovative and Creative;
- Must exhibit solid project management skills which requires the ability to collaborate, negotiate and problem-solve;
- Must exhibit approachability and positive leadership skills.
- Oversee all areas of the School’s development and advancement in alignment with the School’s Mission and Strategic Goals. Oversee all fundraising including annual, planned and major gift programs;
- Develop goals and strategies for the School’s fundraising program and capital campaign;
- Meet with donors and prospective donors to create and foster relationships;
- Create a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the School;
- Identify and help to develop strategic relationships with partners or potential customers. Lead development of new opportunities that support the overall growth strategy;
- Efficiently manage the School’s annual fund and membership programs, which include funds raised thru individual and institutional gifts, special events and corporate sponsorships;
- Responsible for reviewing and analyzing the results of past campaigns and developing new initiatives and partnerships;
- Work with the School President and other members of Pathway’s Leadership Team to prepare annual development operating plans and budget;
- Establish fundraising policies and procedures;
- Oversee the Board’s Giving Campaign;
- Evaluate, grow and oversee the commemorative giving program;
- Manage a portfolio of major donor prospects to cultivate, solicit, and steward;
- Manage Major Gift Initiatives with Directors to identify potential major donors and coordinate requests
Position announcement here: http://www.pathwayschool.org/PDF/Director%20of%20Development%207-24-2018.pdf
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.