Director of Conference Services, Villanova University
Posted by Villanova University on November 5, 2019
The Office of Conference Services strives to promote the University as a unique venue for conferences, camps, meetings, professional development programs, retreats and special events. This is accomplished by partnering with a range of pertinent campus service departments and utilization of classrooms, event venues, dining halls, residences, athletic/recreation facilities and assorted campus facilities and resources largely during the May-August months of peak availability.
The Director of Conference Services reports directly to the Associate Vice President, Auxiliary Services. Responsibilities include the strategic planning and development of Villanova’s summer conference business plus academic year opportunities to host meetings and programs to include office budget formulation, marketing, promotion, soliciting new business, contract management, billing, campus interdepartmental relations, operations, and oversight of the campus-based hospitality enterprise. The Director oversees the coordination of multiple VU campus departmental activities, event and program scheduling, facilities preparation planning, client relations and campus service-provider planning throughout the year. Works closely with numerous campus departments including, Facilities Management Office, Custodial Services, Registrar’s Office, Public Safety, Parking Office, Financial Affairs, Residence Life, Connelly Center, Athletic Department, University Information Technology (including Instructional Technology and the Wildcard Office), Mail Services, Human Resources, Risk Management, and Dining Services.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Development and Execution of Marketing and Sales Initiatives:
- Develops relationships with national and local associations and businesses specializing in conferencing, teaching and professional development.
- Builds sales relationships with regional, state and national meeting/youth programs and event planners, social, military, educational, religious, schools, fraternal and special interest organizations as well as corporate event planners and trainers.
- Works with campus academic and administrative departments and the Villanova alumni community to develop and host educational programs and professional conferences.
- Seeks to promote revenue opportunities for other departments on campus who would provide services or instruction to conference, camp or meeting planners.
- Develops marketing and sales of overnight accommodations to targeted University guests.
- Builds relationships with the local meeting planner and meeting supplier community to include hotels, conference centers, colleges and regional convention and visitors’ bureaus.
- Promotes the Villanova Conference Services brand via targeted local and national advertising outlets with a focus on unique/collegiate meeting venues.
- Utilizes digital and print advertising, marketing outlets and online media to attract business and sales opportunities.
- Responds to leads and requests for proposals in a timely fashion.
- Establishes standards of service and benchmarks for measuring service. Sets pricing structures for housing and meeting space rentals and works with Dining Services to establish dining hall and catering pricing. Evaluates and makes recommendations for new products and services.
- Works closely with the Auxiliary Services Financial Manager and Conference Assistant Directors (2) to establish an operating budget and sales projections. Develops, implements and monitors financial goals for the conference business and ensures that expense categories such as labor, supplies, equipment and other operating expenses are kept within acceptable parameters. Produces periodic financial reports for review by the Associate Vice President, Auxiliary Services.
- Acts as the University liaison with all outside organizations regarding all on-campus conference business and accommodations. Builds relationships with campus space managers (Registrar, Athletics, Facilities/Residence Life, Connelly Center, Information Technology, Academic Affairs, Dining Services, etc.) and develops protocols for reserving summer rooms and guest group access to meeting, eating, and housing accommodations.
- Overall responsibility for the general condition and care of buildings, classrooms, residences, and related areas used by conference guests through the summer. Works with Facilities Management and Custodial Services to ensure the cleaning and repair of all facilities used by conference guests. Makes recommendations and formulates a budget for capital improvements and replacement, conference equipment and supplies.
- Utilizing Conference Services summer staff, conduct residence building and room condition assessments prior to summer guest move-in and throughout the summer season. At the same time, submit multiple work orders to facilities management for repairs. With VU Custodial Services, plan their summer-long cleaning of residences based on the move-in/move-out schedules of summer guest group occupancy. Utilize conference staff for cleaning services when necessary and inspect and approve all contracted cleaning service providers’ performance.
- Provide cleaned and repaired housing accommodations used in the summer for fall resident student move-in upon the close of the summer conference season.
- Serve on University committees as appointed to include the University Calendar Committee, the Minors on Campus Committee and the Campus Event Coordinators Network.
- Provide consultation and support of non-related campus meeting and event planners year-round utilizing Conference Services’ expertise and knowledge of campus facilities, operations and services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/17743
- Research Project Coordinator
- Executive Director, Montgomery County Redevelopment Authority
- Director of Administration, City of Philadelphia Law Department
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.