Director of Collegian Services, Philadelphia Futures
DIRECTOR OF COLLEGIAN SERVICES
Philadelphia Futures, a 15-year old educational nonprofit organization, is seeking a Director of Collegian Services for its centerpiece program, Sponsor-a-Scholar (SAS), which helps inner city high school students to prepare for and succeed in college. The Director of Collegian Services is responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring a comprehensive support system for SAS collegians with the goal of achieving the highest possible college enrollment, retention and graduation rates.
Major responsibilities include:
1. Maintaining regular contact with all collegians through E-mail, telephone, and in-person meetings.
2. Guiding students in accessing campus and community resources and otherwise solving problems that might impede their college retention and graduation.
3. Implementing a system for disbursement of SAS college funds to students each semester.
4. Establishing and maintaining relationships with campus liaisons who act as advocates and trouble-shooters for SAS students; visit campuses periodically to meet with liaisons, develop better understanding of campus resources, and observe students in their college environments.
5. Maintaining data and records on SAS collegians; preparing periodic statistical reports of students? enrollment status and college retention and graduation rates.
6. Acting as internal consultant to SAS staff and mentors in college and financial aid search and application strategies and procedures.
7. Writing bi-monthly newsletter, SAS Collegian, with advice on successfully pursuing a college education and information about SAS activities.
8. Maintaining regular contact with SAS participants who are temporarily out of college and guiding and assisting them as necessary with re-enrollment and transfer application procedures.
9. Maintaining contact with mentors and sponsors to assist in resolving student problems as appropriate and to update them on students? status.
10. Arranging periodic social and educational events for collegians to promote ongoing identification with the program and each other.
11. Coordinating annual design and content revisions to Step Up to College Guide.
12. Developing and overseeing operation of SAS alumni program.
The successful candidate will have experience in working with underrepresented college students and knowledge of higher education retention issues. The ability to work effectively in a collaborative decision-making environment is also required.
The Director of Collegian Services will report to the Executive Director and will be a member of the executive staff that sets direction and develops strategy for the organization. This is a full-time position.
Please send resumes and salary requirements to Joan C. Mazzotti, Executive Director, Philadelphia Futures, 230 South Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102 or E-mail email@example.com
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.