Director, Kensington South Neighborhood Advisory Committee
Posted by on December 15, 2008
Function: Provide advocacy and community organizing functions in the greater South Kensington area. Perform duties required of Neighborhood Advisory Committees (NAC) under the standard contract with the City of Philadelphia; organize various activities, events, and groups to pursue neighborhood and community improvement.
Reports to: Board of Directors
• Refer residents to sources of assistance in city government and other organizations.
• Help residents create community organizations to pursue community improvement; provide capacity-building assistance to these and existing organizations.
• Organize, promote, and conduct community meetings, including “community briefings” required by OHCD contract.
• Help residents apply for Pennsylvania rent and property-tax rebates.
• Be knowledgeable about OHCD and other programs, services, and opportunities that provide assistance to residents and capacity building to the organization.
• Coordinate publication of quarterly newsletter.
• Write/assign weekly column published in community newspaper promoting NAC activities as well as other resources and events related to quality of life.
• Network with and represent NAC at meetings and events with other NAC agencies, community organizations, and institutions.
• Work with committees to organize and conduct special events and projects, such as street cleanups and improvement projects.
• Prepare all monthly, quarterly and annual reports including financial and OHCD reports as required.
• Ensure maintenance of databases pertaining to all NAC meetings, activities and participants.
• Improve and ensure procedures and database of information regarding resident’s complaints and follow up steps taken.
• Create and periodically update directory of community resources.
• Provide assistance to residents and civic groups on city planning and zoning matters.
• Research grant opportunities and help prepare applications, fundraise; manage grant-funded projects and provide reports and documentation of services.
• May be responsible for providing oversight and supervision of other staff or programs.
Qualifications and requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and strengthen relationships, organize and empower residents, and build organizational coalitions.
• Ability to understand, explain and work within city, regional and state policies.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively, prioritize work, take initiative, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility and ability to handle situations with discretion and patience.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Excellent technical/computer skills. Basic web, database, and Microsoft Office knowledge needed.
• Bilingual (English-Spanish) a plus.
• Outgoing, energetic, highly motivated individual needed.
Selected candidate shall receive $25,700.
Send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to KSNAC Board of Directors, Kensington South NAC, 1627 N. 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122, 215-427-0249 (fax), email@example.com (e-mail).
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.