Director, Center for Civic Engagement, Drexel University
Position Title: Director, Center for Civic Engagement, Pennoni Honors College
Posting Summary: The Director is responsible for the overall management of the Center for Civic Engagement (CCE), Drexel?s connection between campus and community. He/she will manage the staff the CCE?s staff of four program officers and serve as the primary contact for civic engagement programs within the university and for the administration of central portions of UNIV 101, Drexel?s freshman experience course that embodies a required service component. The Director reports directly to the Dean of the Pennoni Honors College.
Key responsibilities of the Center Director include: administration of aspects of UNIV 101, working in concert with liaisons from the various Colleges and Schools, assistance for faculty incorporating service-learning opportunities into new and existing courses; the coordination of technology and evaluation efforts to support UNIV 101 and service-learning courses; the development and maintenance of successful collaborations between local community and governmental organizations and CCE to support the expansion of service-learning courses while meeting community needs; development of applications for appropriate grants to support the Center?s mission; supervision of CCE staff, including AmeriCorps*VISTA members; and representing the CCE at regional and national meetings and projecting its excellence in support of Drexel?s growing reputation as a progressive institution.
In addition to his/her duties with UNIV 101, the Director will work as a member of the Pennoni Honors College leadership team, in concert with other Directors. The position requires availability to work a flexible schedule including occasional evening and weekend hours to meet the demands of community agencies, service programs, and an undergraduate student population.
Masters degree in an appropriate field
A passion for Service Learning and community service
A student-focused attitude: someone who genuinely enjoys working with students.
Three years of demonstrated successful grant writing and presentation expertise.
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Proficiency with Microsoft Office and other common personal computer applications
Three years of university experience in student affairs or First-year Experience programs with a demonstrable record of achievement.
Doctoral degree in an appropriate field
Teaching experience at the college level
4-6 years successful program development in working with college students
Proven event planning and program management achievements
* Guide and direct the programs and staff of the Center for Civic Engagement
* Manage aspects of UNIV 101. In coordination with CCE staff and college faculty, develop universal syllabus, and meet with each college to customize the syllabus to the college?s curricular needs. Develop curricular resources and provide training to UNIV 101 instructors.
* Meet with schools and community agencies to conduct needs assessments, develop working relationships productive to the development of sound community partnerships, and develop volunteer service opportunities for students and faculty to be integrated into UNIV 101.
* Maintain technology and assessment to support the requirements of UNIV 101
* Manage CCE staff to guide the development of civic engagement assignments, and work with students individually to develop student-initiated assignments.
* Advise/coach students as appropriate
* Research and develop grant opportunities for partnerships with civic organizations and write grants.
* Serve as a member of the Pennoni Honors College Leadership team
* Develop and maintain appropriate schedules and reports for the Center for Civic Engagement and the Pennoni Honors College.
Employee Type: Full time
Home Dept. Name: Center for Civic Engagement, Pennoni Honors College
HR Salary Range: $55,000-60,000
Position Location: 3210 Cherry St. 2nd floor, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Job Open Date: August 1, 2006
Job Category: Professional and Managerial
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.